Skeeter Boat

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see there are a couple of Skeeter boat owners here. I'd like to pick your brain. I've found a 1986 Skeeter F-80 Strada 15'3" with a 75hp Merc of the same year. It has been garage kept and going for $3,000.00. Do any of you have any experience with this particular boat, likes/dislikes? Is it worth the money? I know you can't say without seeing it, but given it is a good clean boat, with tailer, two gas tanks, Hummingbird, and trolling motor, does it sound like a good deal?<br /><br />Thanks, <br />Dan

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Skeeter Boat

Don't buy it. It's a piece of junk and $3,000 is WAY too much for it. Now where did you say this boat was??? ;) <br /><br />Seriously, sounds like opportunity is knocking. Nice boat, nice price. Ask for a lake test. :) <br /><br />I hope it has power trim. You want it! If it has Autoblend, eliminate it and mix your gas yourself.

gonefishie

Commander

15 footer is too small for my needs but probably works for you. I would bargain for less because $3k seems a bit high for a 15ft, 20yrs old boat. I don't have an F80 Strada but Skeeterboy does.

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm using a 14' jon with a 25 Merc now. I fish on the local rivers and lakes. Sure, I love to have the latest, greatest, and biggest, but the moths in my wallet keep eating my money. Negotiation is not out of the question, which is why I posted. Thought maybe someone could give me a ball park figure. Then I'd have an idea of what to offer.<br /><br />Dan

cart7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can find 18 1/2 footers that vintage for around $4k and that's with a 150. I'd definitely pitch $2300-2500 out there and see if they bite.

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

For your reference the NADA average retail is<br />Boat $925 Engine/w power tilt/trim $540. Trailer, fish finders, trolling motor would need to be added to get total value.<br /><br />Bob

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea ive got one with a merc on it and its a nice lil boat for now for me. since im young and didnt want to spend much to go on big lakes I bought mine for around 2200 or so. the 75 Hp should be a nice motor for the boat since its rating is for an 80hp. I can have me and a buddy in it and run around 35-40 or so which is fine for me right now. I would ask for a lower price if they can.

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got the photos of it and it looks clean as a whistle. I don't have a lot of money but I'd like to be more organized than I am with my jon boat. Plus I'm tired of the tiller! Don't get me wrong, for a jon boat, it's set up pretty well, but it's still a jon, without livewell, place for rods etc. Plus, I'd like to compete in some of the small tournaments here and this should be better than the jon boat.<br /><br />Thanks for the advice so far.<br /><br />Dan

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the boat runs well and is in great shape, give it your best shot and you will love it. The first bass boat feels great!! :D Best of luck,<br /><br />Bob

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, man. That sounds like a pretty good deal. It's certainly a good upgrade from a jon boat. I bought an even older (1979) 16' Basscat boat and I love it. However, I was new to boating and fishing. Had I known more, I would've waited and saved a little more and bought something slightly bigger (17' or 18') that had more storage and a 7' rod locker. Just make sure the boat suits your needs enough, so you won't be wanting another boat in a year. ;)

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive had my boat for 3 years and its runnin great and i keep it clean as a whistle. First off I would put some good wax on it to protect it. I can also store 7' or longer rods in it so you wont have to worry about that. Have fun with it its a fun lil boat. This was my first bass boat or boat period and Ive loved it!

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My offer of $2,500 was accepted. Now all I have to do is sell my video camera and I'll be set. Anybody want a five thousand dollar camera for four thousand? Just kidding JB! I'm gonna put it on Ebay along with some other video equipment. Might even sell my jon boat.<br /><br />Thanks again for the advice and comments. I'll let you know how it's going.<br /><br />Dan

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Nice boats... so-so floor construction (resin coated plywood)..<br /><br />I had a late 80's F-80, hung with a 70hp johnyrude on back, she'd run 45mph @ 6000rpm... Fast boat for the power and size, IMHO.. <br /><br />I'd like to have another F-80 and hang some real HP (150ish) on the back, just for ****s and giggles... :D <br /><br />(edit) Watch the two plastic livewell drain thru hull fittings on the transom... Both fittings on mine were cracked inside and leaked... took alot of looking to find those leaks...

aspeck

Staff member

I think you will definitely want to add power trim if it doesn't have it already. Made a big difference in my SS-1 Fisherman.<br /><br />$2,500 is a pretty decent price as the pics in the other post made it look nice and clean. Get a test ride and go from there.

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks like it has power trim. The seller is retired and I can't see anyone my age or older, pulling on a 75 hp Merc. In the shadows there looks to be two pistons going from the bottom of the transom mounting plate to the engine at an upward angle. (I have Photoshop and pulled out some detail in the original photos) <br /><br />If it doesn't, you can bet money I'll add it!<br /><br />Dan