Size of Tell Tale in J115TLET 90 CV-4

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice
I had to replace a water cooled regulator rectifier this year. I had just replaced last year. I am concerned as I believe this is pre-mature failure and am trying to look at things on this motor with a jaundiced eye. I am sure some other knucklehead other than myself has been on this motor first. My PSI gauge on the dash reads about 2psi at idle and 7 to 8 lbs. at fast idle. I have replaced the water pump and housing. The old pump and housing were not that bad. Another forum member got me looking at the plumbing on the tell tale. Line has been "T-ed" with one leg going to the stream and the other leg going to the dash gauge. Question is I have a 3/16" pee stream, is this a big water leak causing the water cooled rectifier to overheat? Do I need to reduce this? :confused:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Size of Tell Tale in J115TLET 90 CV-4

Not real sure on this, but I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't "T" off of the water pressure guage line, it will make a difference in the readings.
You might cap the line off going to the tell-tale and see if your pressure goes up.
I am sure someone with more experience with those will chime in.

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

Not real sure on this, but I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't "T" off of the water pressure guage line, it will make a difference in the readings.
You might cap the line off going to the tell-tale and see if your pressure goes up.
I am sure someone with more experience with those will chime in.

Yea you and dunnitagain both said the same thing and the answer is hitting me over the head and I am not paying attention.
You can't deny physics. That is what I am doing here. Water is going to the point of least resistance. It will travel 6" and go out a tell tale rather than pressurize a 1/4" line that is 20 ft. long. :facepalm:Duh The answer is plug tell tale, after all tell tale is to
indicate water pressure now I got a reliable gauge to tell me that. (Maybe) I didn't "T" the line somebody else did, but I can now fix the screw-up.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Let us know what happens when you cap the "T", what kind of pressure do you get.

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

I am slow to respond as I got busy with other problems on this motor and overlooked this thread for a while. It is probably better that I did as the PSI dash gauge readings have steadily increased as there seems to be a sort of seating occurring as new water pump.

At idle I will get about a 1 lb.psi, 2200 rpm gets about 7 1/2 psi and it will increase incrementally until max at 5800 rpm will get 12 psi.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I run my water pressure gauge direct from the hose barb on the block to the pressure guage on the dash. No "t" in the line. You might want to check the mounted height of the engine when on plane. Visually check the water flowing to the lower unit. If the lower unit is mounted too high, and the engine is at full out trim-it's possible that the top two water inlet holes are becoming exposed at speed. This will lower your overall pressure and water volume to the powerhed. It's unlikely, but it could result in insufficient flow/volume to keep the block full of water-resulting in the regulator problems you are experiencing.

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

I took the "T" out of the line but this took out my tell tale. That would be a good possibility, (looking at inlets) however this motor actually has a prefix letter of TJ 115, the "T" stands for Tracker and the cover on the motor had a Tracker decal instead of Johnson. My point being that it was placed as a "perfect" fit for this boat. It is a good thought and I will check inlets at WOT when I have somebody at helm.Thank you for your input. When you are dealing with used boats you never know what you will find.
I am thinking of putting a fitting on the head to go to the PSI gauge. I wanted to wait until "off season" to explore this idea. I need to figure out where to drill and tap hole for fitting. It will help burp air bubble out of starboard side which is warmer than port side. Which I found out by reading this great forum. You folks are great with ideas and help.