Site Lets You Check Facts vs. Spin In Political Ads

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Since half of the posts in here seem to be politically motivated, I thought itwould be more efficient to give this it's own thread rather than trying to insert it into the myriad of political posts:<br /><br /> http://www.factcheck.org/ <br />________________________________________________<br /><br />FactCheck.org Is Non-Partisan Nonprofit<br />Kim Ngan Nguyen, Staff Writer <br />UPDATED: 5:27 PM EDT September 7, 2004<br /><br />DENVER -- Now that both the Republican and Democratic national conventions are finished, it's crunch time for politicians. With all the political advertising pointing fingers back and forth, it's hard to know which side is telling the truth.<br /><br />But a Web site available for free to everyone can help sort through the facts and falsehoods, help you distinguish between the rhetoric and the reality.<br /><br />The site is FactCheck.org. It is a non-partisan nonprofit organization based out of the University of Pennsylvania. Its aim is to monitor the factual accuracy of what is being said by major U.S. political players in their TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases. <br /><br />The goal of the group is to be a "consumer advocate" for voters and reduce the level of confusion and deception in American politics.<br /><br />It's not funded by any political organization, business corporations, labor unions, political parties, lobbying organizations or individuals. Because the group gets its money primarily by an endowment from the Annenberg Foundation it's not biased one way or the other.<br /><br />If you check out the site, you'll see that it's not trying to sway a vote one way or the other.<br /><br />_________________________________________________ <br /><br />Given the importance of this election I challenge everyone to take the time to check out this site on a regular basis. Don't think you'll find anything more unbiased. Not only will it help sort out truth vs. spin contained in political ads, it should also give some insight into each parties tactics and degree of 'flexibility' they view as being acceptable regarding truth in advertising. <br /><br />I know this will make little difference to hardcore supporters from either side, but I hope it can be of help to those undecided voters still striving to keep an open mind and get as much accurate info possible before making a decision.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Site Lets You Check Facts vs. Spin In Political Ads

even better:<br /> <br />FactCheck.org will automatically send each new FactCheck Special Report and Announcement article directly to your email account. See the link to sign up for this option on the right hand side of the home page.