sintetic or regular oil,whats better for an old motor

Max7

Seaman
thank you for the help.I have an old motor 1980 Johnson 85hp 4cyl 2 stroke wich type of oil is beter sintetic or regular oil, or both?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: sintetic or regular oil,whats better for an old motor

Personally, I would stick with regular old Dino oil at this point. It has worked well in yours for 22 years and that's not too bad! I don't see any advantage to switching now, other than running a bit cleaner.

ob

Admiral

Max7, Your motor is indeed a 1980 model<br />manual tilt,electric start,20" shaft

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Max, you might want to get rid of that "Signature Line" below your posts. It gets confusing. <br /><br />
I have a 85 HP Johnnson model#j85mlcsa,serial#j5309418 4cld when I bought it the previous owner wasn't shure of the year.could you help me out to get the year of this motor.

jasonnb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As the happy owner of a 1976 85hp Johnson V4 that has run perfectly (except for bad power pack last year, didn't die on water, found on hose) I refuse to run anything in this horse except genuine Johnson branded standard oil. OK, Evinrude is acceptible :). Am I picky? Yup. I had this horse for 3 1/2 years. She has only failed to start once and it was my own fault for flooding it. It has never fouled the plugs either.