single carb vs dual or triple carb.

nramil

Cadet
I owned 3 jetskis in the last 3 yrs and was wondering the difference in a single carb to a dual or triple carb with engine size. They all go about the same speed.

I first owned a '95 wetjet 701cc single carb and it was a great beginner ski at 40mph and decided to move up to a 3-seater and got a '95 polaris slt750 with 3 carbs that max out at 45mph. I realized the tuneup for more carbs cost more so I sold the Polaris and now got a Yamaha waveventure 700cc that goes 45mph. Not sure how many carbs in the '95 yamaha since I just got it.

What is the difference if they can all go at 45mph. Wouldn't be better off getting a single carb vs a dual or triple for less maintenance cost?

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: single carb vs dual or triple carb.

Usually a dual carb model vs a single carb model ( speaking same ski same motor) the dual carb model will have better throttle response come out of the hole quicket and overall power increase and some top speed increase as well. Thats what makes a ski more fun. Top speed is great but the fun is in take off and coming otu of turns etc. My last ski was a killer out of the hole. The ONLY ski ( back then) that beat me was a Ultra 150 triple pipe. and I had him up to about 25-30. Then he left me behind. The only other ski was my buddys Sea doo 951 that was fairly modded. I wasnt stock either) if youre comparing apples to apples lets say a yamaha 760 and a kawi 750 both with dual carbs then they will perform virtually identical. Maybe slight difference but nothign drastic. Im speaking stock stuff not mods. When you add mods well thats a different story.

A single carb model is usually a entry level ski for well entry level. its like a car maker. there gonna make the entry level model with bare bones so thats why they sell it cheap. if you want a steering wheel with that well sir thats gonna upgrade you to the LX super model and thats gonna super chap your butt when you see the sticker on this baby. Whats funny is entry level skis now cost as much as top of the line skis were back about 8 years ago.