simple trim question

glennwingman

Seaman Apprentice
1976 mercury 650 type 1 trim...
is the larger of the two trim hoses the up or down hose? Id assume its the larger hose, to allow for easy return flow, but I dont know, hence the question. Thanks!

Laddies

Banned
Re: simple trim question

The large hose goes to the lower cyl. port which tilts the motor up

glennwingman

Seaman Apprentice

I meant more along the lines of is the larger of the two the supply, or return. I'm having a new one made, and it matters, due to the differing pressures between the two. Up is up to 3500 psi, down is more like 1000, I just need to tell the guy making the hose so he can correctly match the new type.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

Those PSI numbers are close...the large line is the "up" line..3500 psi is close, BUT if you have a Red label on the pump field and frame (or armature housing) it can build up to 3800 psi's...the smaller "down" line pressure with this Red label pump can be 1200 psi's...if it's a plain pump then your 3500 and 1000 psi's is correct..

Moody Blue

Captain

Hey where did you guys get those numbers from ?

I've been curious what pressures those systems operate at.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

I learned of these PSI numbers from an instruction sheet that came with a Mercury hydraulic test gauge set that i bought. The Red Label pump (thats what Mercury calls it because Mercury used a Red warning decal on the pump field and frame to identify the high pressure pumps). The instructions are great...they give all the pressures and the permissable "bleed-off" of the UP and DOWN cycles...Good stuff in those instructions!!

Moody Blue

Captain

I sure wouldn't mind getting a copy of that for my reference file. Would really appreciate if you could scan and send to me in a PM.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the delay Moody Blue...I would be more than happy to send you a copy of the power trim hydraulic system testing instructions...Im not too savy with computors...so we might have to find another way to get them to you...