Silly question: can an electric start be added to an old pull-start engine?

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Silly question: can an electric start be added to an old pull-start engine? Do any sort of conversion "aftermarket" kits exist?

The engine in question is an old '53 15HP Super Fastwin (15012)

As my restoration gets closer to completion, it occurs to me that *I* can / will yank that rope.....but the wife / kids? Not so much...

Just wondering,

mark

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Silly question: can an electric start be added to an old pull-start engine?

i dont think your motor can be converted to electric start ( not %100 sure tho), but....if it has good compression, and the timing and carb are set well, you will be surprised how easy the motor will start cold. and once its warmed up it should fire as easily as one firm pull.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I know the '56 15 Fastwin came with electric start, but I don't know about the '53 vintage. I'm with nwcove. If that baby is tuned up right, you won't need it. Are you planning on puting it on a boat for frontal steering and remote controls? In that case, if it was me, I would find a 1957 18hp Fastwin. They're so much more adaptable with that option, and easier to get parts for.

64osby

Admiral

Zeph - I have a 18 hp 57 rude and all the parts needed for electric start from a 18 hp 61 rude.

The mounting bracket lacks the post for the clam shell to lock on.

I have looked at some online part diagrams but can't find the bracket or anything on a electric start for a 57????

82rude

Rear Admiral

http://www.old-omc.de/start.html ive pored over the brochures at this site and the first i seen of e start was 1955.the 57 18 hp did have that option 64osby.i have a 53 25 bigtwin tiller that has e start but maybe it was retro fitted by the p.o.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

In 56 Gale had an electric start 12 hp. Unfortunately I don't think the power heads are similar.