Sign of weakness?

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Got this quote of CNN<br /><br />"In Najaf, the U.S. military has stepped back from offensive operations against al-Sadr's militia in an effort to work out a political process."<br /><br />My view is this sends all the wrong signals to the enemy and will be perceived as a sign of weakness. What happened to Bush's Dead or Alive he's coming with me speach.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Sign of weakness?

Honor is a very big deal amongst Irakis.Once they know they have been defeated,it is a smart idea to do some symbolic negotiating with them.It lets them know that you are not out to annihilate them.<br />Besides,the purpose is not to destroy them, but to get them to govern themselves and get out of there.

Link

Rear Admiral

Chris:<br />rolmops is right on the money here.<br />Even when waring against each other this is done.<br />If Im correct the "political process" will be done over there and on site. <br />Not like what we are used to by people back in DC

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Has anyone ever said what these guys demands, reasons, thoughts, etc are to be fighting so much?<br /><br />Plus I really see no reason to attack them. Surround them and wait. We can wait forever, they still need food and water.<br /><br />Plus hopefully one day the Iraqis will govern themselves, and will fix the problem themselves.