Sierra vs. OMC

Jcstratt

Seaman Apprentice
Is there any reason I should choose OMC gasket sets/water pump kits/etc. over those of Sierra?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sierra vs. OMC

the BRP gaskets are of much better quality than most others, IMHO. having watched several sets of head gaskets rust away I quit using them myself

D

DJ

I won't bad mouth another product.<br /><br />But, my personal preference has always been for the original eqipment, whenever available.<br /><br />rodbolt sees allot of engines in much more severe use than I ever will. I would take great stock in his opinion and experience.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

OMC impellers are better quality than the other stuff out there. Not the place to economize.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

I work on and own twins from the 50's, 60's, & 70's so that's what I'm familiar with and read up on. OMC is preferred for powerhead gaskets (better quiality), water pump kits (better quality), and carb kits (come with replacement float). Sierra is preferred for coils (better quality). Don't know about t-stats but I mostly buy online and prices are so close I get OMC. Sierra might be just as good, I don't know. I use Sierra lower unit seal kits and been happy. Cheaper by quite a bit.

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've found that OMC stainless steel thermos tend to cake up pretty quickly and stick, especially in salt water applications... have used Sierra thermos with no problems.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

TXshorty<br /> if you use the BRP stainless t-stats you need to cut a vent in the poppit. the sirrea ones already have it, I agree with you on that point. I also use the vented self flushing T-stats in the v6 mercs<br />but I have had to many sets of sierra head gaskets just rust away leaving nothing but the seal ring.

Jcstratt

Seaman Apprentice

What I need is a pair of thermostats (oem's are white plastic), water pump ('cuz I've already got the motor torn down), and 4 carb kits (I think, as it's a 4 carb setup).<br /><br />The motor's a 2000 90hp Johnson 60deg eagle v4.<br /><br />I've already got the powerhead gasket set and the head gaskets are just an oring.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post the model # of your motor if you want the correct water pump

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JC, better yet you can go Here, locate your motor, they have motor breakdown and OEM parts list, you can enter the OEM part# in the parts search feature and locate after market part #'s such as Sierra, etc.

Jcstratt

Seaman Apprentice

I've found the parts...the question is whether or not the OMC parts are of so much better quality than Sierra, whose parts are a bit cheaper.<br /><br />The motor is a J90PLSSE

mtnoffroad

Cadet

I use both brands on a daily basis. We service only fresh water boats so if you are in salt water you may get different results. That said we have been using sierra products quite a bit for the last 4 or 5 years and have had no problems with them. In some cases such as coils we prefer them. When it comes down to gaskets, water impellers, water pump kits, carb kits, and ignition components we are able to pass on significant savings to our customers and warranty them just as good as our OMC brand parts. That said I would use either part without any concern as to durability.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you buy an after market waterpump kit for the 60 degree engines, make sure you get the correct housing. One has bleed hole, one does not.