Side Curtain Rejuvenation?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I have side curtains that came with my 18-foot Starcraft. They are the clear vinyl type that snap into place. Overall they are very clear and in decent shape - no stains or tears, BUT they have gotten very tight! They had not been on the boat for several years, while I was restoring it, and seem to have shrunk a bit. By the time I get all the snaps done, working from bow to stern, the stern end on both sides is an absolute bear to snap. Anyone know of a way to soften them up and stretch them out a bit? I don't need much, just an inch or so. As it is, I am the only one who can put the sides on, as neither my wife, nor 12-year old have the hand/arm strength to snap them - they're that tight.

Thanks!

- Scott

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Side Curtain Rejuvenation?

Spread them out and lay'em in the sun. Then when they are good and hot install them and let'em rest mounted. Vynil stretches quite a bit with temperature, and will retain some memory.

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just had this same problem on our bayliner 2855. If it's not sunny (alot of the time up here in WA:D ) Hang the panels from the top of your canvas (zipper or snap)...snap what you can and warm the rest of it up with a hair dryer....and snap the rest of them....works great.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Thanks. That's what I've done in the past, and after tweaking my thumb trying to grip the end and getting them to attach a couple days ago (sunny and temps up into the 80s all day) I thought they might stretch out a bit. I took them off yesterday to go for a ride and when I went to put them back on for the night they were still tight. Maybe I'll see if I can come up with some sort of medievel-inspired rack/torture device to stretch them out, with the aid of a hairdryer (wife won't mind, I'm sure...)

- Scott

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Leave them mounted in the cool of the night. They'll OK since they can't shrink while stretched, but will want to. Watch using a hair dryer, you don't want opaque windows.....
In the winter do not store them in freezing temp or you'll have the same problem next year.