Shuttle Grounded Again

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It seems like some of the foam that destroyed a previous shuttle has come off the large fuel tank again. This time the crew lucked out because it didn't hit the shuttle. It seems like the shuttle fleet is being grounded after this flight until the problem is finally fixed. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8720825/ That is the link to the news.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shuttle Grounded Again

And nothing would have been said about it if they had not had 102 cameras taking pictures for the world to see.<br />It's ok to have the cameras, just don't need to let everyone see all the pictures, IMO.<br /><br />But, better safe than sorry.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> And nothing would have been said about it if they had not had 102 cameras taking pictures for the world to see.<br />It's ok to have the cameras, just don't need to let everyone see all the pictures, IMO.<br /><br />But, better safe than sorry.
YUP me agrees

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I doubt that really.<br /><br />They lost seven astronauts, an orbiter, two years, and who knows how much $$ on the columbia. They thought they had the foam revised so that it would no longer detach. Now on the very next flight the same thing that brought down the columbia happened to discovery. Cameras and publicity or not I would have to believe that they would still ground the fleet.

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

If there was damage i sure hope they now know how to fix it in space. We still get a thrill watching the shuttle go up here in florida.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Man what a disappointment. They worked on that for 2 1/2 years and it still messed up.<br /><br />Ken

tommays

Admiral

the bad part is that foam was allways falling off and it took loseing a ship to even try to put a fix in <br /><br />tommays

LubeDude

Admiral

, No, this is the bad part!<br /><br />They spent $1,600,000,000.00 (Correct amout of zeros) and it happened again.<br /><br />Why did we have the problem in the first place? Because of an environmental decision to change the type of foam used when Freon was said to be a hazard to the environment. Seems that the new replacment to Freon makes the foam more difficult to attach. Now, I dont know about you, but I say that the small amount of Freon it would take to make the shuttle safer is worth the environmental damage the freon may cause. Which I believe to be a farce anyway.

Stratosfied

Ensign

I am with ya on that LubeDude. I think the Freon is a farce as well. I have heard that each time the shuttle blasts thru the ozone and comes back in makes a bigger hole than if you released all the freon in the world at once. <br /><br />Concerning the foam attaching... haven't they ever heard of duct tape??? :confused: :confused:

LubeDude

Admiral

Why wasnt it all over the front page in the Papers, and on the TV, that the Ozone hole was the smallest that it has ever been in recorded history first part of this year???<br /><br />I suppose if it were that the environmentalist would have said that it was due to our efforts. Oh well, life goes on inpite if the Do Gooders.

Stratosfied

Ensign

I actually suppose that is is because we haven't blasted thru it in 2 1/2 years.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

inpite if the Do Gooders
Thanks Lube :) I had to laugh a bit when reading your post. :D <br /><br />John

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Im with ya on this Stratosfied.<br /><br />Been saying for years that the holes in the ozone was caused by all those rockets pokin holes in it. Not to say the farce/fluorocarbons arent causing the holes to rip a little bit. :rolleyes:

D

DJ

LD wrote:<br /><br />
Why did we have the problem in the first place? Because of an environmental decision to change the type of foam used when Freon was said to be a hazard to the environment. Seems that the new replacment to Freon makes the foam more difficult to attach. Now, I dont know about you, but I say that the small amount of Freon it would take to make the shuttle safer is worth the environmental damage the freon may cause. Which I believe to be a farce anyway.<br />
Yep, EXACTLY!<br /><br />Enviro types also prohibitted "anti fire" foam from being sprayed on the upper floor structural work of the World Trade Center. Without it, it was doomed. <br /><br />But, nobody cared-and STILL don't.<br /><br />Remember, in the US, 911 never happened, at least according to the US media.