Shredded serpentine belt on brand new boat?!?!

Ob1415

Seaman
So I recently purchased my 2011 Glastron GT 205 just over 2 weeks ago. I took it out this past Saturday, for the 3rd time since purchasing. Cruising along and all of a sudden my power steering goes out and the voltage on my meter dips from 14V to 11V. I immediately stop the boat and open the engine compartment. Sure enough, the belt had frayed at the alternator pulley and had came off completely. It is coverered under warranty and won't cost me anything for the repair, but why would this happen on a new boat/motor? Is there anything that I should be worried about, perhaps an underlying problem, or does this seem like a freak occurrence?

mr 88

Commander
Re: Shredded serpentine belt on brand new boat?!?!

Besides the possibility of poor alignment you may have a bad belt tensioner or alternator/waterpump may have seized.Make sure everything but crank pulley is freewheeling in the system Everything is outsourced and somtimes you end up with a defective bearing.This happens in new cars all the time, not always that particular issue.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

was the belt split down the center in two? I've seen belts not installed completely, and they end up running with the edge of the pulley on one of the grooves. Obviously it doesn't last long like this.

veeru

Cadet

I bought a brand new Glastron DS205 with a VP 5.0 Gl . Series of problems which I traced to bad shipping or improper mounting of engine while installation. One of them was similar to yours.

The POWER STEERING pulley in my case was not straight. Could not see it straight up but after removing the complete brackets and mountings we saw it was slightly bent as a result of which the belt was out by 2 grooves on the steering pump. luckily we saw it during initial setup and a bit of hammer work of the bracket resolved it.
Also had other issues you should be aware of.
Found the power steering hose had a minor leak as a result of being squashed between the engine and hull, 2 HT leads were damaged on one side, The Engine oil filter aluminium cannister had a puncture and hairline crack/leak, drain taps were missing, the Distributor rotor had taken a hit and bent the base aluminium mounting plate (not visible from outside) and as a result the rotor inside was mworking its way sideways. Eventually ht rotor chewed up the points on the distt cap.
Finally had the boat working completely perfect 3 weeks ago till last weekend when the engine would not start again. This time we traced the fault to the electric pump which has a mind of its own. It works fine most times but a few times needs a nudge with a tap to get it running. Just ordered a new one 2 days ago.

NHGuy

Captain

Man that ride to Hong Kong really beat up your motor!