Shower Sump

I just purchased a 1994 Larson Hampton 240MC. The shower sump had dirty water in it and does not appear to be draining anywhere. I cleaned out the sump, blew air into the "drain plug" and then filled it up with clean water, but it still does not drain. There is a shower sump switch just below the sink, but it does not appear to work (at least I cannot hear any noise when I turn it on), although there are wires routed from it towards the fuse panel.<br />Anyone have any ideas as to what to try next?<br />I also would like to know where this water drains to? The manufacturer could not verify if it drains into the bilge, or directly to the holding tank.<br />I does not appear that the floorboards in the main cabin are removeable, otherwise I could look into the bilge and verify what is happening.

borourke

Seaman
Re: Shower Sump

I had the same issue with a Glastron I recently purchased. The shower sump was located under the step that you would step in to get down into the cabin with. Have the shower sump switch on in the head, have the accesory sump setting on at the dash and when the water level gets high enough it kics in and drains the water. A odd setup, but it seems to work OK when you figure it out. Hope that helps.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

A lot boats have their shower sumps attached to a thru hull so it pumps over the side, don't think you would want it to go into the bilge and sit there. Might go to a tank though if your boat has a grey water tank (not the same as the head uses) regardless though the pump should work, is there a float switch in the sump as well or could your pump be the kind that has an internal sensor?

The shower sump was located under the step that you would step in to get down into the cabin with. Have the shower sump switch on in the head, have the accesory sump setting on at the dash and when the water level gets high enough it kics in and drains the water. A odd setup, but it seems to work OK when you figure it out. Hope that helps. [/QB]
Thanks for the input, I will give that a try next next weekend. The step down to the cabin sits on a floorboard, that I have teried to remove, but with no luck. There are screws that secure it close to the bilge inspection hatch, but it won't bidge close to the steps and I removed them to allow complete freedom of movement

Originally posted by Boatin Bob:<br /> is there a float switch in the sump as well or could your pump be the kind that has an internal sensor?
The shower sump is built in to the floor of the toilet room and has a drain valve with a hex nut on it at the side. The pump is not visible even when I open the rear cabin access hatch, all i can see are the pipes and the seacock. LArson has no schematic for this boat and even when i called them they could not tell me exactly how it had been constructed. It's agreat boat and has been kept extremely well, but these few issues that I am having are frustrating without some sort of diagram or guidance.<br />I really appreciate your response.

rwidman

Lieutenant

There is a shower sump switch just below the sink, but it does not appear to work (at least I cannot hear any noise when I turn it on), although there are wires routed from it towards the fuse panel.<br />Anyone have any ideas as to what to try next?<br />I also would like to know where this water drains to? The manufacturer could not verify if it drains into the bilge, or directly to the holding tank.<br />
The switch probably makes power available to a pump in the sump which is also controlled by a float switch (it's really just another bilge pump and switch but in the shower sump). Check for a through hull fitting above the waterline near the location of the shower sump. Operation should be as follows:<br />1. Turn on shower sump switch<br />2. Run water into the sump until it reaches the level that activates the float switch (about two inches of water)<br />3. Water exits through the through hull fitting until the float switch cuts off (at about 3/4" of water)

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

for some reason I'm getting the feeling you don't have a pump in your shower sump, which should be there complete with built-in float switch or mechanical mounted beside it.<br />I've replaced a ton of these on broker boats that had the pump removed....for what reason, I don't know...<br />I've also seen quite a few that just needed the pump replaced.<br />Ya gotta get down in there and see if you have power.

borourke

Seaman

Travis,<br /><br />I hope you are able to figure this out, the only place I have seen one is on my boat and I found it by luck when I tripped on the step and it lifted up a little. I peeked in a little further and found the shower sump in there. <br /><br />Ron - You have the same boat I just purchased a '04 model. I would like to ask you a couple of questions about your experiences. Do you mind sharing your e-mail address? My e-mail address is borourke@columbus.rr.com.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Brian

Finally got a hold of someone at Larson and they told me that I needed to remove the main cabin floorboard, remove the dirty water tank and cut a hole in the stringer along side the head to get access to the pump below. Didn't like that idea, so I suggested to them that I enlarge the hole that the discharge hose comes through the bulkhead beneath the rear birth and replace it from that side. They agreed and admitted that the original design did not even consider future replacement.<br />Thanks for all the input

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

You've got to be kidding, a manufacturer like Larson didn't consider having to replace the pump sometime in the future? I wonder what else was installed and then the rest of the boat was built around it?

Yea, I agree, they were pretty amazed themselves. I had to wait three days until one of their senior employees came back to work, cause no on else had a clue as to if there was even a shower sump pump installed!!<br />They had no schematic drawings other than the electrics and they also had a parts manifest of that particular boat, but could not figure out which pump was installed.<br />Sounds like a couple of guys building boats in a garage somewhere.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by TravisTraverser:<br /> Sounds like a couple of guys building boats in a garage somewhere.
Part of Genmar, one of the biggest in the business. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Mine is just as bad, the owner's manual attempts to cover every boat they build from a 17' bowrider to a 27' cruiser. There are several electrical schematics, none of which match my boat (I have a background in electric and electronics so I can tell). You would think that for $40,000 or so they could spend a few dollars on an individual manual.<br /><br />BTW: I used to own an 18' Stingray. By contrast, you can access their website, input your serial number, and see a list of every component and option your boat was manufactured with. Too bad I didn't like the layout of their cruiser. :(

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Brian O:<br /> Travis,<br /><br />I hope you are able to figure this out, the only place I have seen one is on my boat and I found it by luck when I tripped on the step and it lifted up a little. I peeked in a little further and found the shower sump in there.
I found this storage/shower sump area when I pulled up the plastic carpet protector after a month or so. :rolleyes: <br /><br />You have to take all the screws out of the piano hinge to get at the rear two screws for the cover to the shower sump so you can drain (for the winter) or service it. Now, there are two screws in the front and a piece of foam wedged between the cover and the underside of the step in the rear. Much better arrangement! ;)