Shower sump turning on all of a sudden

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, Looking for some assistance.

I went out on our boat today (an 03 Four Winns 268 Vista) and we only went out for about an hour and didn't go far. When we returned to the dock, I went down below and heard a sump pump or something that was on. It was coming from underneath the head and I knew it wasn't the foward bilge pump.

I went to the fuse box and pulled out the fuse that was labelled 'shower sump'. Then the pump turned off (as it didn't have a fuse I guess) but it goes on everytime I put the fuse back in.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why this has turned on all of a sudden? We've never used the shower before and I don't think I hit many 'bumps' out on the water, but for the life of me, I don't know why this turned on and stayed on. I left it originally for more than 5 minutes and it never turned off.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shower sump turning on all of a sudden

bad switch, water in the sump. time to investigate.

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks tash- for your quick response. When you say bad switch, what are you referring to?

Do you think this is something I can investigate on my own? Should I open up the floor board to access the pump and see what's going on?

I don't know why and how water could have gotten in there? Any other thoughts on troubleshooting?

Thanks again.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Yea, I'd probably take a look at the pump itself. The only issue that comes to mind is a stuck float switch. I wouldn't think it would have an external float so very possibly the entire pump might need to be changed out. They're relatively inexpensive and can be done in 30 minutes or so.
With all hooked up and if the pump is running tap it gently - see it it doesn't stop. If it does then it's just a stuck internal float switch.

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice

Hi gcboat.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestion. I'll take a look and see how it looks. Sounds to me that it's not too bad and I appreciate your help as it makes me feel a heck of a lot better!

I'll keep you posted on my results. Thank you all again!

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You didn't mention any water discharge from the outside of the hull. Assuming there was none : Find the shower sump, remove the cover and have a look. Without getting too gross..... these usually don't empty completely and there may be some...."debris" in there that shifted durring your cruise and caused the float switch to hang up. Wipe out, flush, shopvac the sump and then see if the float rises and falls easily. If the float is down, and the pump is still running, replace the float switch.

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks waterone for your suggestion. I'm hoping to get to it sometime this week and if not, then over the weekend but I'll try to do what you all suggested. I like your comment about 'debris' and I'm preparing myself for what I may find! lol.

Thanks again!

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all with your suggestions. Turns out it was a stuck switch and was able to get it to reset and it seems to be working fine now. Thank again!