Shouldn't I have a PVC valve?

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
1984 120HP. I noticed that the rubber tube going from the spark arrestor to the valve cover has a metal tube that attaches at the cover and looks like a PVC valve, but is just an empty tube. Shouldn't that be a PVC valve? What affects will not having the valve cause?

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shouldn't I have a PVC valve?

I think you mean pcv, not pvc. PVC is the acronym for a type of plastic, typically piping. PCV is a part of the valve cover to valve cover, or valve cover to carb breather system and pollution control system.<br /><br />Sorry, but I just had to say it as its Friday and I'm extremely bored.<br /><br />To answer your question...yeah, you probably should have one. What make, model, year, etc?

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

most marine engines dont have a pcv valve. they have what looks like one but, its empty inside. its just for evacuating the fumes from blowby out of the block. wait for the professionals though..

bluemist

Seaman Apprentice

NO. The breathers on a boat vent naturally via crank case pressure. a PCV is plumbed into the vacuum system and lierally sucks from the crank case a reburns the fumes. if you put a valve in there the case wont vent properly. All is well leave it alone.<br />AL

oops bluemist responed before i submitted this, same info.<br /><br />A pcv valve is a spring loaded valve, vacum operated, to purge the crankcase of blow by gases (on an automotive application) On your particular setup there are no vacum provisions to hook up a pcv valve so the vent hose is routed right to the flame arrestor to aide in removing blow by gases.

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My bad...I was thinking auto, not marine...