Should thrust washer recess into the prop?

Nial

Seaman
Hi there<br /><br />I've just purchased a second hand sola s/s prop to replace my solas al prop. On the AL prop the thrust washer recesses slightly into the prop but this new s/s prop i've got it will sit flat against the prop. The s/s prop can be viewed here <br /> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4634579911&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1 <br />and if you look at the second pic in the add you can see the surface the thrust washer you sit flat against. I was just wondering if it shoudl recess or does it not matter? The prop will fit nicely on my 1976 Merc 850 but I just want to make sure I won't damage anything before I test run it. Any help would be great. Thanks<br />Nial

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Should thrust washer recess into the prop?

Didn't look at the pic, but what is the purpose of the thrust washer? To support the thrust of the propeller and keep it out of the rear of the skeg gearbox casting. It's wedge shaped and only fits the shaft one way.<br /><br />If you have it on correctly, and then install the propeller, locking ring and prop nut, and rotation by hand causes no interference you have accomplished the goal.<br /><br />My maint manual says that prop nut needs to be torqued to 55 ft lbs. Do it.<br /><br />Mark

Nial

Seaman

Cheers for the reply. It does seem like it would fit fine I just like to make sure as boat parts are too dam expensive to start with so I don't want to break anything I don't need to. 55 ft lbs how tight is that roughly? Last time i did it up as tight as I could with a shifter? Didnt' have any problems with it. Was thinking of doing the same again, I just tighten it till I can tighen no more.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I take a gloved hand and grasp a blade of the prop. Using a 1/2 inch breaker bar and socket (my torque wrench is 1/2" also), 55 ft lbs is about all that you can hold onto (with the hand holding the blade).<br /><br />I do not torque against the drive train. Not that it will hurt anything; dunno, but don't want to subject it to that.<br /><br />I'm sure that when you hit something underwater with your prop; especially at high speed, the shock wave that goes through your drive train is heck of a lot more than that, but again, it's my choice.<br /><br />HTH,<br /><br />Mark

walleyehed

Admiral

Let's back up a minute here... That prop in the pic appears to be a Suzuki prop with such hub...<br />and yes, the thrust washer should have a lip that goes INSIDE the inner hub of the prop....that's what keeps it centered and also keeps it from rubbing the outer housing.<br />If the prop DOES go on, a different thrust washer "may" be needed.

Nial

Seaman

The prop does go on fine, but the washer just doesn't recess into the hub of the prop.

Nial

Seaman

I put the prop on but it doesn't fit tight, I need about a 5mm spacer to go between the prop and the other piece that slots onto the back of the prop that holds the locking tab. Can I buy one of these to fit a merc 850?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The Michigan Wheel Co. (web site) has a PDF catalog which shows all their props. With some of them they indicate that you need a different thrust washer. Possibly the different washer is a different thickness (I don't know) which would solve your problem. Why don't you just contact them with your question and see what they have to say.<br /><br />Don't know that I'd glob a bunch of stuff on the prop shaft that wasn't intended to be there.<br /><br />My 2c,<br /><br />Mark