Should it be that hard to steer?

mrjeff62

Cadet
My 1986 Bayliner w/125 Force o/b handles like a tractor in deep sand with flat tires. It's so bad that I am almost afraid to approach the boat ramp when there is more than one or two boats around. Everything is greased. How stiff is the steering supposed to be? Anybody?

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should it be that hard to steer?

It sounds like it may be in need of a new cable. Does the wheel turn easily when the boat is on the trailer or sitting at idle? I have no idea what configuration your helm is, but before buying a new cable you might try unhooking the "motor" end and seeing if it is still hard to turn. If it is, you either have a cable or helm issue. A few other questions before jumping to conclusions, though:

How long have you had the boat?
Has it always done this?
Have you checked for kinks in the cable?

BF

Lieutenant

when you say everything is greased, you mean you've also greased the rack and pinion box under the dash, right? They usually have a zerk (grease fitting) on them. Usually another fitting at the motor end.

mrjeff62

Cadet

I've owned the boat since December 2010. My first boat, so I don't know what's normal. It is somewhat easier out of water.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Do 1 thing to diagnose the problem. Remove the bolt that attaches the cable end to the engine. See how easily the engine swivels when not hooked to the cable. Then turn the steering wheel to see how hard it is to turn. if the engine moves freely and the steering wheel is stiff, you have a cable issue. If the engine is tight, then you need to fix the swivel tube issue that you have. It should be fairly easy to steer, especially at idle. One hand should be sufficient. If you have to manhandle the wheel it is not right. It's an '86 model- I'm sure you don't know if the cable has ever been replaced. If it has not been replaced it is definitely time. If you are going to replace the cable. replace the entire system. Go with a Teleflex NFB system- less than $200 online and not only will it make your steering easier it will also eliminate any torque steer you may have. Great systems for a good price.

tocostew

Cadet

what type of greese do you put in the rack and pinion box, I am have a steering issue as well. sorry didnt mean to jump in on this thread but I am haveing the same issues.

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 1988 bayliner has a steering wheel lock nut(thumbscrew) under and behind the steering wheel. Just a thought.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If you are running a Bayliner with a Force that means it is older and you probably need a new steeering cable, do as ufm82 says and that will tell you where you are but I would be suprised if it wasn't the cable, they do wear out.

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same problem with my johnson GT 200. It turns fine at rest or idle but at WOT it turn OK to the right but is a bear turning the left... thought this was kind of strange. I don't think its a hook or rocker (deformations in the hull from the tailer) because it stays straight as an arrow when on plane. I just assume its because the motor is so heavy and at WOT is generating so much torque that it doesn't want to move. Could be wrong though...