Should I run the other way? This Volvo SX Cobra drive looks beat up

Fotog

Cadet
I've looked at a really nice '98 Chapparal 180. Interior and hull are immaculate. 3.0 engine was replaced several years ago, but owner says nothing has been done to the outdrive. I'm used to seeing nice shiny black Mercruiser outdrives even on 15 year old boats. This one scares me. What do you think, can you tell anything from the photo? Does it just need paint? Has been run in a local river, freshwater only, always on hoist in summer or dry storage in winter.

Cobra SX-3.jpg

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Should I run the other way? This Volvo SX Cobra drive looks beat up

Run Fotog! Run Like The Wind! No seriously, I just wanted to tell somebody to "Run like the wind!" from a boat and hadn't found anyone so you're it. Anyway I have my doubts that is a factory paint job which means that drive had the original paint removed and it was repainted. There may have been an issue with Volvo drive paint but I think it was later than '98. I suspect it was removed and worked on and repainted with a spray can and obviously not prepped. If the seller bought the boat used I bet that's it. If he's owned it since new I'd be suspect about "Nothing being done to the outdrive" If you buy it you WILL remove the drive and check the U joints and oil. I'd have the seals replaced too. All that stuff is 15 years old and it aint immortal. I dunno, I'd keep looking. Maybe find a Chapparal 190 with a 350 in it. I drove one a few times had boatloads of power. You planning on pulling skiiers? The 3.0 might disappoint. Especially if some big ol cranky guy from the 'net shows up in a pink wetsuit (Hey mine's ripped I had to borrow the wifey's nevermind she had the rear enlarged) and wants to slalom behind it.

Fotog

Cadet

Current owner bought from original owner, so he might not be aware of earlier issues. He told me he needed to re-paint it, but did not reveal any other impending problems. Bottom fin has lots of wear, maybe he has run over submerged sandbars during low water periods on the river.

Walt T

Lieutenant

More like he ran over Easter Island. Anyway if it's a nice boat and the test ride is good and you just plain like it, just plan on spending money on the drive. It's certainly not that big a deal even if you have to spend a bit on it. Very nice well kept used boats can be a great deal even if they need a 5-600 dollar repair. Those small boats are a great way to start out boating. Check the hull carefully for damage as it may have caught the nose of one of those Easter Island monoliths since the drive hit a few apparently. Thump the transom in several different places and listen for gurgling. The transom should be solid and feel like it. Stand on the floor and walk all over it, jumping on it in a few places. There should be absolutely no sagging. Check the motor oil in the engine for water, Check the drive oil for water. I recommend having a mechanic look it over before you buy anything. You would not believe some of the boats I have surveyed over the years. As Dr. House likes to say "everybody lies"

Fotog

Cadet

Thanks, Walt T. Good advice. I do like the boat, but I worry that when an owner beats up the outdrive like that it's not a good omen. I found one other '98 Chaparral 180 just like it, but with Mercruiser 3.0 and it's in Minnesota (I"m in Oregon). Also found a listing today for another Chaparral 180 with sport seating. I like the idea of having 2 captains seats, but pushing the bench seat forward in front of the engine compartment really cuts down on the floor space in a 18' boat. I think sport seating works better in a 19' or 20' hull.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

DSC_1002c.jpg18 ft boats and 3.0 litre engines are not a good match. Even a 4.3 is iffy. I have a 5.7 in my 18ft and love it

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

18 ft boats and 3.0 litre engines are not a good match.

+1 and the resale on them is poor.

A 18.5' boat with the 220 HP 5.0 will launch out of the water and be much easier to sell.

Also remember not all 5.0s and 5.7 are built equal.
Volvo 5.0 GL 220 hp
Volvo 5.0 Gxi 270 HP
Merc 5.7 efi 250 HP