Should I replace shift cable while doing bellows?

texomatom

Seaman
Looks like I let the boat sit to long this season :) Have developed a crack in the shift cable bellows. The cable appears to be in good shape and I've not had any shifting problems.<br />Boat is 6 years old. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and change the cable and housing while I'm in there?<br />The factory u-joints still look brand new and show no signs of wear. Replaced the impeller at the end of last season. Anything else I should be checking?<br /><br />Sorry .. edited to add :<br /><br />1998 Merc 4.3(FI) w/ AlphaI Gen II<br /><br />Thanks.<br />Tom

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Should I replace shift cable while doing bellows?

Personally,I would do a complete bellows and cable replacement.since you are in there anyway half the job is done.All the other rubber cant be far behind the cracked one.Charlie

Bondo

Staff member

If I pull a Gimbel apart,<br />It goes back together with All the Rubber Stuff,+ the Cable,<br /> New........

texomatom

Seaman

Thanks Charlie, Thanks Bondo.<br />I'm pretty comfortable with the shift cable and bellows replacement and possibly the exhaust bellows replacement. But, I'm intimidated by just the thought of replacing the drive shaft bellows. I've heard horror stories (on i-boats) about getting the new bellows on (without the proper tool).<br />That's why I am considering just doing the shift cable bellows now - to get me to the end of this season. I can do a total reseal in the off season. Can this be accomplished without special tools? Should I buy the tool? I've got the factory manual and I'm OK with the procedure. Just worried about not getting the thing back together. It's not leaking now. I'd hate to screw up what appears to be a sound, sealed bellows.<br /><br />Am I over thinking this?<br />Thanks again,<br />Tom

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Without the tool? Forget it!!<br />With the tool? Still an SOB job. <br /><br />Chris..........

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I recommend either getting the tool and doing the job or getting it done somewhere because when a drive bellows leaks,it can sink you or do a bunch of damage.Charlie

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how can you tell if the drive bellows are leaking. Just curious. :confused:

achris

Look for holes... or if when you remove the leg all the metalwork that lives inside the bellows is rusty.<br /><br />Chris.........

chuck in WA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just replaced all that rubber stuff a couple of weeks ago. I had no special tools, and while not easy, was do-able.

achris

Chuck, is your outdrive a Gen II or an Alpha? The Alphas don't require a tool, the Gen II's definitely require the tool to seat the retainer ring on the inside of the bellhousing. It can't be done without it. Even with it the job is still a 'bad words' generator.<br /><br />Chris......

texomatom

Seaman

Thanks all.<br /><br />Well looks like I'll be adding a new tool to the box after this season :) I figure I'll need it every few years anyway. After all, it's going to pay for itself after the first use.<br />The u-joint and exhaust bellows don't show any signs of needing replacement. I will do them both after this season.<br /><br />Thanks again for all your input.<br /><br />Tom

chuck in WA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops!! You're right. Disregard the above post from me. Sorry.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

in answer to skeffer's question, turn the outdrive to the left and look on the right side of the bellows and vice versa. raise outdrive and look underneath the bellows. and if you are in the water and see globs of grease rising up from around the outdrive, you have a leak. and if you pull an outdrive with a water filled bellows, you are going to spill greasy, gooey, water all over your shoes!

Bondo

Staff member

That job is So Much Fun, I pay someone Else to do it.......... :D

texomatom

Seaman

Update ....Success - or - Happiness is a dry bilge :) <br /><br />Well I replaced the shift cable bellows. Found no indication that the cable needed replaced so I reinstalled it. The only real issue I encountered was attempting to thread the cable housing back into place. I spent a lot of time trying to snag the end of the cable with a bent clothes hanger (from inside). I gave up on that and decided to start from the outside. I was able to bend the wire just right and guide it up through the manifold and bell housing on the third attempt! It was then an esy task to push the cable housing in (over the wire).<br />After re-adjusting the shift linkage it shifts better than it ever has (even better than when it was new). The bilge is bone dry again!<br /> <br />Be forewarned .... I'll be back this fall when I perform a complete reseal.<br /><br />Thanks again everyone for your great advice.<br /><br />Tom