Should I replace risers and manifold? 4.3

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
New boat to me a 2002 Chaparral with 4.3 2bbl ser# M099909. I started it for the first time on muffs and noticed starboard side was hot to the touch and port was just warm. So to error on side of caution I decided to have a look. What do you guys think? Clean or replace manifold and risers? Also is that normal for a motor mount to rust or has this baby been sitting in rain water?

2002 180se Chaparral Photos by vman858 | Photobucket

Vince

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Should I replace risers and manifold? 4.3

I would say replace them. Looks like that boat was used in salt water for quite a while. The outlet ends on the elbows are shot.

The rust on the mounts looks like most of the mounts I see on salt water boats.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...The rust on the mounts looks like most of the mounts I see on salt water boats.

And a pretty neglected one at that.... Looks more like the ones I see that have had a leaky engine box. Salt-water gets on the engine and drips down the sides. The mounts are a good indicator of that. As are the external surfaces of the exhaust manifolds, particularly at the rear end on the bottom.

Chris......

tpenfield

Staff member

The mating surfaces look OK, but the internals look pretty crappy. So, maybe better to get some new ones.

See if 'they' have engine mounts while you are ordering parts . . . that mount in your pictures will be tough to adjust if you ever have to align the engine/outdrive.

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice

Well next question is should I just run away and try and find something in better shape? Hull is in good shape.

If I'm going to keep it aside from replacing exhaust, risers, thermostat, and impeller what else should I check?

After I get new exhaust and risers and the other items listed Ill be in for about 5k. Has a nice aluminum trailer new hubs and tires, new battery and new trim cylinders. Needs about 500 in interior work. I want something that won't leave me looking for a tow.

Thanks for the replies!
Vince

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice

The mating surfaces look OK, but the internals look pretty crappy. So, maybe better to get some new ones.

See if 'they' have engine mounts while you are ordering parts . . . that mount in your pictures will be tough to adjust if you ever have to align the engine/outdrive.

Does the out-drive need to be realigned when replacing them?
Thanks Vince

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Does the out-drive need to be realigned when replacing them?
Thanks Vince

Not the drive, the engine. Absolutely!!!

Chris.........

tpenfield

Staff member

Well next question is should I just run away and try and find something in better shape? Hull is in good shape.

If I'm going to keep it aside from replacing exhaust, risers, thermostat, and impeller what else should I check?

After I get new exhaust and risers and the other items listed Ill be in for about 5k. Has a nice aluminum trailer new hubs and tires, new battery and new trim cylinders. Needs about 500 in interior work. I want something that won't leave me looking for a tow.

Thanks for the replies!
Vince

Yup, if you have those things done for you, it will start to add up. . . if you do those things yourself, then the costs are more manageable. There are no guarantees about looking for a different boat. . . most likely will have its own share of issues.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't even say the mating surfaces look good, you can't see the surfaces of the manifold and risers, just the gasket remains.

From the looks of the bilge on the motor mount picture, I would say you are getting into a pretty good mess there, and who knows what the rest of the engine and drive looks like.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking at the pictures you can see the stains where the water level was.I'd be thinking twice about this deal.

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class

If i look at the spark plugs.....a lot of corrosion too. I think i would walk away but all depends on price

tpenfield

Staff member

Thanks for the replies!
Vince

Just to be clear . . . do you own this boat at this point, or is this boat under consideration?

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice

Just to be clear . . . do you own this boat at this point, or is this boat under consideration?
I do own the boat. Just wanting input to sell as is with the trailer and cut my losses or keep and move forward. A co-worker offered me 1k more than I paid last week, but I don't feel comfortable selling to him now that I know the issues. It started right up and sounded good after the carb cleaning, but Im going to check compression before I spend any money. If that checks good, It may be a mistake but I'm going to replace the risers and manifold maybe remove the intake and clean. Then new impeller, gotta replace that coil, fuel sending unit, plugs, wires, cap. Already replace fuel/water filter. Oil looks new but I think I change the filter and oil. Anyone think of anything else. I would like to wait until next year on the motor mounts. Then new bellow at the same time.

Man I had a hard time getting the lower unit off. That bolt in front by hull kicked my Butt. Its like the thing has been it the water or something :). Anyway I upload more pictures of the impeller looks pretty clean but the blades are stuck in one direction. Not sure if it needed replaced but now I know what I got.
Lower unit impeller Photos by vman858 | Photobucket

Let me know what you guy think. Thanks
Vince

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice

Added a picture of the flapper, does that look good. It moves freely.

Bondo

Staff member

Added a picture of the flapper, does that look good. It moves freely.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... That's junk too....

ya the impeller's had it,..... You oughta get the full water pump kit for that,.....

That looks like a Saltwater boat,... probably why that fastener came off so hard...

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice

Yea it keeps getting better. When you say full pump kit ? Is that gaskets etc?

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

That looks like a Saltwater boat,... probably why that fastener came off so hard...

Any reason not to put anti-seize when reinstalling ?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea it keeps getting better. When you say full pump kit ? Is that gaskets etc?

This 817275Q05 is the part number for the OEM kit if you're going that route which is what I did and has the 1 piece faceplate/gasket unit that makes installation a breeze. Here a link with pictures of what's included.
MERCURY / QUICKSILVER 817275Q05 Z W/P UPPER REP KIT-GEN II ZZ

I used the Merc anti-seize paste on water pump housing bolts, studs that holds the 2 halves together, studs on the bell housing, trim ram threads...pretty much everything being it also was a salt water only boat.

Mark