Should I replace ring gear?

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice
I just got a boat (2001 Larson) with a 3.0 Volvo GSP-A engine. They had an alco aftermarket starter on the thing. The starter wasn't engaging all the way onto the flywheel ring gear (i.e. the gears overlapped only half way), and the starter gear was trashed. As far as I can tell so far, part of one tooth on the flywheel is missing (kind of a triangle off the front corner) and the others show some signs of wear on the front half. The back half of the flywheel ring gear is just fine (because the starter gear wasn't even hitting it).

The question is, should I pull the engine and replace the ring gear? I just got an expensive volvo starter and I don't want to mess it up. I will also be putting the bracket on the end of the starter that the previous "installers" removed when installing the aftermarket starter (I'm sure it didn't fit so they just didn't install it). I haven't pulled one of these engines before and I'm a bit worried about getting the engine aligned once I put it back (I do have an alignment tool). So, I'm leaning toward just trying it with the existing ring gear but I wanted a "second opinion".

Should the starter gear go all the way onto the flywheel gear, or do they normally only engage the front part of the flywheel gear ring? My volvo manuals will be here in a few days, but are there any tips on making sure the starter is fully engaging?

Thanks to everyone here for all of the help. I've been reading back through the forums and it has been very helpful.

Thanks,

Fred

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Should I replace ring gear?

You can either replace the ring gear, or keep replacing the starter. Untill the ring gear goes completely, then replace both.
Read the blue part of my signature below.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

Bondo

Staff member

As far as I can tell so far, part of one tooth on the flywheel is missing (kind of a triangle off the front corner) and the others show some signs of wear on the front half.

Ayuh,... Replace it,... Otherwise, it'll keep haunting you....

chiefalen

Captain

The part itself should not be all the expensive just the ring gear, the flywheel should still be good.

Pulling the motor is the byatch. When you have it out already paint the pan real real good after you get it clean. Me i would paint everything you can't see when the motor is in the boat. I paint the starters, 3-4 coats.

You could install the starter when the motor is on the pallet or crate/ stand and test it to see if its engaging the ring gear fully. And yes you need the front, bracket keeps the bolts from snapping and getting loose.

Good luck !

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. Replace it I will...

The next question is should I shell out the $88 for the "Volvo" ring gear or should I use one from here: http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page91.html

There is no rust on the oil pan or much else because the boat was run in fresh water only and garaged. I will inspect everything while it is out and clean up and paint anything that is corroded.

I am planning on lifting the engine from the lift points using some boards across the boat, then sliding it back about a foot to get the coupler and flywheel off. Do the coupler and flywheel self align when you put it back on? Any words of wisdom?

Thanks for the help - I definately agree that I would rather do this now than mess with it all season long..

Thanks,
Fred

chiefalen

Captain

88 for anything saying volvo on it is a bargain.

Bondo

Staff member

The next question is should I shell out the $88 for the "Volvo" ring gear

Ayuh,... It's a Chevy,... They only come in 2 flavors,... 12",+ 14"....

Measure your's,+ go get a New 1 at Napa....