Should I remove the oil injection, DT85 Suzuki ??

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just "acquired" a boat with an '85 DT85 Suzuki on it. The engine has not been run in almost 5 years. So far, I've tested the compression and find it acceptable for being that dry (135,125,130). It doesn't look used a lot. I was told by a local marina technician that I should premix 50:1 and remove the oil injection. He claims that they ruin more engines than they help. Should I run premix until I verify whether or not the oil injection is working or remove it completely ?? Anyone have any opinions on this ????

My other plans to revive it include water pump rebuild, fuel pump rebuild, carb overhauls, and lower unit service. What else should I do ?? Thanks.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Should I remove the oil injection, DT85 Suzuki ??

Suzuki has one of the best oil injection systems, but it all depends if you feel like pre-mixing the fuel or not ...... first make sure it work properly before disconnecting it .... make a mark on the oil level and run it on 50:1 full tank, then when the tank is empty work out the ratio of oil it used to make sure it is good ..... other things to check for your big service ... spark plugs, check fuel line for leaks, and all rubber piping, clean fuel filter, check coil wires .....