Should I pull my engine?

Wahoo Cruiser

Recruit
I have a 1983 sunexpress 5000 w/merc 228 , I have to pull out for the winter. should I pull the engine to do major work like replacing manifolds and riser, replace all studs, replace head gaskets, etc. going to pull outdrive anyway. I think I should. What do you think? Any suggestions?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Should I pull my engine?

How accessible are all the items you want to work on while the engine is still in the boat? If access is easy, leave it in.. if not, pull it out....

Chris........

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Pull it. With the time you save working on it ouit of the boat you can clean up the bilge and check all the stuff you can't get to with the engine in there.

Also gives you a chance to go over the engine too, throw some paint on rusty areas etc.

M

Uraijit

Banned

Yup, I'd pull it.

You'll be in a much better position to inspect hoses and wiring, and you'll save your back by not bending over for hours to change those parts on the engine.

It only takes about an hour for me to pull my engine, and maybe 1.5-2 hours to get it back in.

I can make up a lot of that time by doing the engine work on a stand, instead of in the boat. I'm also less likely to drop something into the engine that I don't want to...

Even without those other benefits though, I'd do it for my back alone.

Especially if you're pulling your drive anyway.

sparky71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello again,
Me and the OP went halfs on this boat and I thought we could leave the engine in to do the work,but the studs are pretty bad and I know it will be a lot easier to do with engine removed so...
Other than alignment tool/engine alignment are there any possible hang-ups?I think getting the motor out will be easy...It's the re-install that I'm not sure about(only cause I've never done it)any and all info is greatly appreciated(Oh yeah hey rich, I told you this site was awesome)

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

After you get it cleaned up and are painting, use rubberized undercoating (3m rattle can) on the bottom side... it works wonders for protecting from rust down there...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Make sure you remove the drive first. I have seen people pull an engine with the drive still on... cost them a coupler...

Chris..........