Should I keep or should I sell?

Long story short....been looking for a decent walkaround all last summer...Picked up an immaculate 1990 Avalon walkaround,22 foot, 180 h.p. 3.7lx Mercuiser, made by Raven Boat works...Had it looked at by a local Marina before I bought it...they said it might need outdrive work in the future, but it seemed like a nice boat...so I bought it...could only take it out two times before I had to put it away for winter...Now the problems start...I took it to a local guy that is very familiar with this engine. Took it in for a tune up, check the pressure on the outdrive and give everything a "once over"...I just needed a new water pump and other typical things for a good tune up...Life was good..I was going to pick up my boat in a day or two...The mechanic called me back, telling me he had some very bad news...He took the boat out for a test run and it ran like new...brought it back in and checked the engine and said the cam was leaking through a "weep hole"? He said the engine would have to be pulled to fix it and it would be very expensive....Previously, he said the engine was packed in my boat so tight, that if if ever had to come out....he would have to cut the deck that is above the transom...I asked them how they got the engine in the boat,and he said, he's seen engines put into boats and the floor droped around it....this boat has no removable panels in the floor like some boats, to make it easier to get to the engine. <br /><br />cheifmike58 wrote on 12/17/2002 on this forum...<br />"Two main problems with these engines are no.1, water circulator mounted on front nose of camshaft with two seals separating water from oil sometimes wearing groove in camshaft creating leak. There is a sleeve kit available to repair this without removing cam that works great."<br /><br />Has anyone heard of this kit? I don't know if I should save up the money and have it repaired or sell it for as much as I can and just move on....<br /><br />thanks..<br /><br />Doc. Thunder

Trent

Captain
Re: Should I keep or should I sell?

That engine has had its problems.... Check here for more info..... 3.7 Mercrusier<br />Some good info.. But the prices of the items listed can be alot better if you look around.