should i have oil here ???

piperdog

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello,ive a 1976,65 hp blue band and on stripping down the lower gear casing ,i noticed there was no oil ,there is a drain plug at the bottom .
are the cogs greased or should there be oil,if so where is it filled from and to what level,no wear or rust on the cogs,thanks piperdog,ps how does the rubber seal come off and on

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: should i have oil here ???

I'll assume you are working on the lower unit and have disassembled it.

Yes the gears (cogs?) and other components in the lower unit are bathed in gear oil.

The gear oil is injected in through the drain hole in the bottom of the housing while the (vent) screw further up is removed. When the oil runs out the vent hole it is full.

Rubber seal?

piperdog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i should say o,ring (oil seeping out to prop) and what oil are we looking at,thanks

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Marine grade gear oil.

O-ring ? I'm still at a loss here.

I believe the carrier may have an oring, and that should pretty much self evident how it is handled.

Usually the propeller shaft has a lip type seal.

PS there are a number of areas (drive shaft, shift shaft, propshaft, retainer, plug seals, cracked housing) where the oils could leak out, and water in. It is best to pressure vacuum test it to locate actual problems.

And although as many before have come to realize, on two stroke motors, especially those run in the driveway, at extended low RPMs, or with less than perfect tune will drool oily unburnt residue from areas near the propeller.