Should I buy this 1973 Evinrude 65 triumph?

TyeCope122

Seaman
Should I buy this 1973 evinrude 65? I would like to to fix it up and throw it on a bass boat but it doesn’t come with controls. If is possible for someone to tell me what it would cost in total to get controls for it. The guy will sell it to me for $175. He doesn’t know anything about it. Would it be worth a shot for me to go look at it and try and see if it has compression and if it may be a runner? Let me know.

2CCED877-2A68-465E-8A08-5C7EF93C170D.png

Attachments

• F4A21ED8-A0E0-44C0-81A8-2DDDC0BBF421.png
    F4A21ED8-A0E0-44C0-81A8-2DDDC0BBF421.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Should I buy this 1973 evinrude 65? I would like to to fix it up and throw it on a bass boat but it doesn’t come with controls. If is possible for someone to tell me what it would cost in total to get controls for it. The guy will sell it to me for $175. He doesn’t know anything about it. Would it be worth a shot for me to go look at it and try and see if it has compression and if it may be a runner? Let me know.

View attachment 372634
I would tell him you will haul it for free.....which might be to much.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Controls ( red plug ) can be found for about $100 in my area.-----Go for it , as it might be an excellent motor.------You will learn a lot for little money on this project.-----You can check every thing without the control box hooked up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Better odds of getting something worthwhile then buying a lottery ticket.----Prop might be stainless and worth $100 all day long.

TyeCope122

Seaman
Controls ( red plug ) can be found for about $100 in my area.-----Go for it , as it might be an excellent motor.------You will learn a lot for little money on this project.-----You can check every thing without the control box hooked up.
Thank you for the reply! I am 15 years old and I have experience in fixing small engines and have recently cleaned the carbs and done some work to my dads Johnson 48spl and a Mercury 60 that we have. I think it will be a good learning experience for me to dig into it and see if I can fix it up and if it’s worth it. I do have a boat I would like to put it on and call it my own and I would like to try and see if it’s a runner if everything looks good.

Last edited:

TyeCope122

Seaman
Better odds of getting something worthwhile than buying a lottery ticket.----Prop might be stainless and worth $100 all day long.
Thanks for the reply! I would like to try and fix it up if everything seems to be good but worst case I could use parts off it and still get something out of it.

TyeCope122

Seaman
Only if the engine will turn over..if stuck walk away
Thanks for the reply! I am going to find out if it’s locked up or not and if it isn’t maybe I can run some compression tests before I buy it. I have a feeling everything should work out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wonderful / cheap opportunity to learn something about motors.-----Wonderfull opportunity for a young fellow.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Agreed!
It’s good to hear there are still some young folks willing to learn. There is no better way to learn than to dive in and do the work. It’s more fun than sitting on the couch playing video games.
Enjoy the time and soak up the knowledge.
Best

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Grandson ( at 11 years old ) bought his first motor for $20 , a 1959 Evinrude 5.5 HP----I did not learn anything taking it apart , but he did.-----Worth every penny and more.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Wish my 15 yr old would have the motor bug... instead he like programming computers... guess I can't complain as he is pretty good with C++ now.

Ok back on topic...I totally agree with racerone. It's a good opportunity, you will learn a bunch.

At $150 if the power head is trashed you can sell (ebay, craigslist) the lower unit...the prop... and likely most of the powerhead parts and recoup your losses.
If the lower is trashed...well they not too expensive...

Good luck

That's jusy my opinion though.

Again happy to hear there are young gearheads out there!

Sean
Edited cause I forgot something.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Make sure to service the raw water pump