Should I buy it?

PT

Seaman
2002 Carolina skiff 21 footer CC with T-Top with a 1986 or 1989 Johnson 100 HP, Now is the motor to small for this boat, if not what is the relaiblity of this year model motor. Does it sound like i should buy , This is all i know , talked to owner on phone, He said there was nothing wrong with the boat..oops $8500

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Should I buy it?

These motors were very reliable and sturdily built. Good maintenance is the key to having them stay that way. Check it out thoroughly and have a mechanic check them if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself. For motor size, check the data plate on the boat to see what the maximum HP is. 100 HP should be in the ballpark and should plane a flat bottom skiff pretty well. A test ride will determine if it's enough for you.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should I buy it?

PT.....Is the 100 HP a "commerical" engine? That is with a V4 power head with a V6 lower unit? If so, that is an excellent engine. I have 1987 on my 18' Campion Cutty Cabin and it is probably the best engine of that type I have ever used. My Campion is about 1/3 heavier than a Bayliner, but the "100" pushes it over 40mph, which is quite fast enough, even though my boat is rated for 150 max HP. :eek: ...Bob in Calif...