Should I buy a stainless?

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Mercury 1987 25hp on a 14' Shallow v-hull boat. I use it mostly for getting out to fishing spots, have a kicker for trolling.<br /><br />My question is what benefits and advantages would I get buying a stainless prop. My prop I have now is fine, no damage so I don't need to buy one, but looking into a stainless.<br /><br />Current prop is a 10 3/8 13p<br /><br />Is it worth buying one or just wasted money? Would it just be better to buy doel fins or both?

Ron G

Commander
Re: Should I buy a stainless?

What are you wanting out of your rig ?more speed hole shot?/whats your rpm at wot?it all depeands on what you want or need.

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RPM...have got a clue, happy with the current output of the motor.<br /><br />As regards hole-shot....not to bothered. Like I said I'm just using it to go from one fishing place to another. Top speed I guess is more important for me than hole-shot as I won't be using the boat for water skiing and the likes, plus the boat planes great with the 25hp.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If it ain't broke don't fix it. My experiences with the need for SS come from larger engines that, if they hit anything is seems, bend the prop or a high performance application.<br /><br />For that sized engine and just fishing, I'd let well enough alone; beins you are happy and nothing is damaged. Buttttt if you have money to burn..............buy yourself some gas for it. Grin<br /><br />My 2c<br /><br />Mark

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cheers Tex...that was what I thought but you hear of all these super-dupser SS props that you can live without, just had to check!<br /><br />Gas it is then.....

Ron G

Commander

Sounds like a plan catch a bunch.

ZR8RIDER

Seaman Apprentice

Stainless steel props are great! If you are always in deep water, or the same area and there is a minimum chance of hitting bottom, then its worth the extra money. My buddy's and I trailer to different lakes and rivers, so aluminum is better. Not that I want to hit something, but I would rather ruin a 100 dollar prop, than a 400 dollar and possibly the outdrive.

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by ZR800RIDER:<br /> Stainless steel props are great! If you are always in deep water, or the same area and there is a minimum chance of hitting bottom, then its worth the extra money. My buddy's and I trailer to different lakes and rivers, so aluminum is better. Not that I want to hit something, but I would rather ruin a 100 dollar prop, than a 400 dollar and possibly the outdrive.
I trailer my boat and motor to different lakes and slips into the sea and fish mostly shallow water, so again it sounds like alu and a whole load of gas is the way to :D <br /><br />Thanks for clearing this up guys....Wiggy

walleyehed

Admiral

Let me add to this...The reasons mentioned above is quite frankly, EXACTLY the reason we run SS. If you hit something at Idle, it's probably going to kill the engine AND bend the prop....(aluminum)<br />Now, if we hit something at Idle with SS it will kill the engine(likely) and you will have a hard time finding where it hit...<br />If you hit something at WOT, you have as good of chance of blowing the gearcase with either prop and I've seen it both ways...<br />What I'm saying, is you have it backwards...the SS will save you money in the long run.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Kenny my man,<br /><br />He is talking about 25 hp, not 200. Grin<br /><br />Mark

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

If it's a 25hp, would it not be the last prop he buys?