short to longshaft conversion cost

MarkCz

Cadet
I recently bought a 1985 Evinrude 20 HP shortshaft outboard. I also picked up a new complete longshaft conversion kit on e-bay, that contains the 5" extension housing, shaft, shift rod, water tube and other parts. I understand you have to pull the power head to put in the new shift cable. Any idea of what a reasonable labor charge for a conversion such as this.

D

DJ

Re: short to longshaft conversion cost

You also have to install the driveshaft in the lower unit. That also requires disassembly.<br /><br />I think I would call around to some dealers and get some quotes.

DHPMARINE

Captain

MarkCz If the kit is from OMC (original equip) you may also be installing stiffer motor mounts and other parts.When OMC was great,they did it right.<br />DHP

MarkCz

Cadet

Follow up on converting from short to long shaft. I had a guy do the conversion from the short shaft to the long shaft on the above mentioned engine. He was able to extend the shift rod by making an extension for the old one. This saved having to pull the power head which is normally required to change the shift rod. Total bill for the work plus new impeller and new lower gear lube was $120.00, I supplied the OMC conversion kit which contained the 5" extension housing, shaft, shift rod, water tube and other parts. which I found on E-bay. We chose not to put the new motor mounts on but they were in the kit as well.