short-shaft motor with planing fins...

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i've got a 13' boston whaler. the short shaft 35hp evinrude has planing fins on it. is this setup helping or hindering the boat? i wouldn't think that a short shaft needs fins like that, as it would plane pretty easy...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: short-shaft motor with planing fins...

Depends on what year 13 you have, Beermunk.<br /><br />If it is a 1972 or earlier (non-smirked hull with blue liner) the short shaft is correct. If it is a smirked hull it needs a 20" (long) shaft. If it is a Dauntless or a 130 I can't help you.<br /><br />BW classic 13s can be planed with as little as 10hp and a light load. I have used 9.9, 20, 25, 40 and 50hp on them and a 35, even the old crank rated 35s, is good for over 30mph WOT.<br /><br />Some hydrofoils (planing fins) help with lower planing speeds and less porpoising when trimmed out, but are definitely not required to get your boat to plane.<br /><br />You would help helpers here a lot if you would tell us exactly what model and year boat and engine you are talking about. Boston Whaler has been making various 13' boats for over 40 years and Johnson 35s have been around in different versions for even longer.<br /><br />Now I am going to move this to Outboard Non-repair Discussion.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Short shaft wouldnt affect planing performance<br />because the prop is in roughly the same position <br /> in relation to the boat as a long shaft on a 20" transom.Hydro foils can be very effective to aid in easy planing and dampening porpoising.They do also sap top speed a little.<br /> Your boat certainly doesnt need one.Its easy enough to remove it and see how things go.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post 1973 Boston Whaler 13s have a 20" transom, Spike.<br /><br />If that's what Beermunk has a short shaft would really screw it up.