Short idle and tough start.

Kender

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a 1978 140hp Johnson that after warming up with only idle in neutral for about 15 seconds and during that time you can hear it slowly dieing. It had a rebuild last summer but since I just bought the boat I don't know how in depth the rebuild was. It is hard to start, takes some playing with to get it and usually has to have some throttle while cranking to get it to run. I just filled it with gas at a 50:1 mix. What are the most likely culprits? Any tips on diagnosing further. I haven't had a chance to check compression or plug gap yet as I can only work on this a couple days a week since it is stored at a storage lot but the next chance I get to work on it the motor will be the focus of that weekend.

Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Need to know compression, also try priming the fuel bulb while running, maybe your fuel pumps failed.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
That engine is a bear to start if the choke is not working. Are you pushing in on the key when starting to provide adequate choke? Does the choke solenoid activate the carb choke plates when the key is pushed in?

Kender

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry for the delay in responding. Extra long work weeks have got me busy. Won't have a chance to work on her until July 4th weekend. Will let ya'll know what I find when I get a chance to find out some things. Would it be worth ordering carb rebuild kits so that I have them on hand in case I need to go that route?