Shorland'r Trailer VIN#

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an older (1994) Shorland'r trailer that I have a 16' aluminum boat on it & I need to find the VIN#. I have looked everywhere & can't find it. Any suggestions on where it can be found at on the trailer?

georgew48

Cadet
Re: Shorland'r Trailer VIN#

Shoreland'r puts their VIN's on with a label and it would be on the frame just aft of the rear right side wheel and before the tail light. The bad thing is these labels fade or fall off and then you are with out a VIN unless you have a registration paper that has it. My 1995 Shoreland'r is the same way. Thank goodness I had a reg paper with it. If you can't find it then you will have to register it as a home made trailer. I don't know Wyoming's procedure is for this but I know in Ohio you can do this.

Last edited:

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Assuming the sticker is gone and you don't find a VIN, call a registration office (not necessarily the one you plan on actually registering it at) and find out what their procedure is. Registering as home built probably wont be a problem but it might be nice to know the process before you show up just in case you need to tweak your plan a bit.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the label method is a failure and legit trailer owners can get stuck. Mine is missing on a trailer I bought used but it had registration paperwork--even still, an inspector gave me a hard time about it. If you locate a number, write it on the trailer, maybe even stamp it in with number stamps.
sometimes the label is up near the hitch. Maybe even under the surge brake apparatus where it gets worn off. Great thinking, trailer man.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I've got a Shorlandr,, same problem, the sticker was long gone.... The DMV in PA wanted an imprint of the VIN along with reg... not possible.. fortunately, I know a trailer inspector, he knows me...he vouched and signed... other than that, you can get up crap creek...

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1985 ShoreLandr and the VIN label was washed out. I had the original model/serial and called them to get a replacement label. I had to send them several pics of the trailer and my serial info. They sent me a new label for the trailer, but the capacities and tire size info was completely wrong. I called them and they said that they did the best they could with the information available to them. I guess they don't keep very good records. And, I had to pay good money for the replacement "incorrect" label.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Here in WV if you apply it as home made and they send you a tag with numbers on it.

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They may make a great trailer, but I have to agree that their record keeping is pretty bad. I sent them photos of what I believe to be a '64 vintage trailer and they couldn't even give me a model number or any specs.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

The collective short of this is they do make a great trailer....VIN# on what amounts to a "sticker" on the frame is sad... puts folks who buy a perfectly solid older trailer in a bad spot having to jump through hoops to try to get it registered...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Don't know about where live, but here in Georgia you can get a home built trailer registration plate that affixes on the trailer frame and go from there. My old trailer (1976, I think) was so old that I couldn't find any numbers anywhere. So being how I completely rebuilt it now (actually getting ready for paint in a day or two) I got the home built trailer plate and once it is certified (road worthy) it is ready to go.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Im sure there are home built trailer exceptions in all states, problem is a trailer inspector has to give you approval paperwork, finding an inspector can be difficult...dealing with DMV personnel can be even more challanging....all can be avoided if only VIN was not on a "sticker"

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What were they thinking?!?!??! They couldn't pay someone an extra 3min out of his work day to stamp the frame????

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I hate to state the obvious but If it's all they truly want is a VIN# can't one simply be made up? Really it's no different than registering it as home built. If shorelander doesn't have records there wont be anything for the DMV to cross reference anyways.

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The other issue with ShoreLandr replacement stickers, one which affected me, was the fact that the sticker shows tire sizes and trailer capacity based on the available tire sizes. My original factory tire size (and sticker) gave me a much higher capacity than what the replacement sticker shows. In other words, they spec'd out a capacity lower than what the trailer had originally. That leaves me in a precarious position if I'm in an incident or questioned by law enforcement. As a result, I have not affixed my replacement sticker.