Shoreland'r good or bad?

Sinko

Seaman
I'm looking to upgrade my trailer. Have a local Shoreland'r supplier and I'm impressed with their sales support. We looked at a few options for my 2800# dry weight 19ft boat. I've vouched for a tandem 4000# trailer even though it's more coin. Any feedback on their product. Does a tandem take away more road shock? Also, I'm leaning towards bunk verses my current roller set up. I struggle to center this thing everytime. Any feedback would be great. Seems like prices are a bit more here since the tandem runs $3500 plus good old Canadian tax!

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Shoreland'r good or bad?

They make very nice trailers.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I never heard of anything bad about them. Just make sure you maintain it properly, and it should give years of service.

Tandem would be a better choice due to the fact you have more rubber on the road. More stable, and yes, a better ride for the vessel. Also less of a pucker factor in case of a blowout.​

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have one. Trailer is well built just dont like having to use a middleman distributor to get something.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've owned many Shorelanders and only my pontoon trailer gave me anything to gripe about. It was not as much a "build quality" issue as it was attention to detail and tire issues. Tires turned out be absolute junk and at 800 miles were severely cracked. Both replaced under warranty. This was a 2008 trailer and the date code on the tires was October of 2004 - so those tires (China of course) sat in a warehouse for four years before going on the trailer. So check the date code before you write the check whether its for a trailer, a car, truck, cycle, or just replacement tires. The other issue was the hardware on the left side suspension was never tightened. I found that by my own personal inspection before the first trip. Otherwise, I find their product to be of excellent quality. A tandem trailer does not necessarily ride any better but they do tow better with much less tendency to sway. They are also harder to move around in your driveway however.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Around here Shorelander's reputation is not all that great. They are typically the base trailers on a price point boat packages. The wide spread use of use of proprietary parts on their trailers is a big turn off as well. Most of the "better" boats you see sitting on Loadrite or Loadmaster trailers.

Roller or bunk depends on your ramps. If you're having problems centering the boat on a roller trailer you have the trailer too deep in the water. Only need the last couple of rollers in the water.

slowroller88

Seaman Apprentice

The nice part about a tandem axle is that if you lose a tire, you can drive a short distance until you find a safe & level spot to change the flat.
Like mentiioned earlier though, it's a pain to move by hand in the driveway, even with a wheel on the jack.
Cheers!
Scott

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think like most things we buy, ask 4 people and you will get 5 different answers. I have had a shorlander for a few years without many problems. Like someone else said. You have to maintain them but that is pretty much the same with anything. I really like bunks, VERY easy to load. If you have the bunks in the right place on the boat you can put your boat on in just about any weather. With the rollers I have had some problems getting it on straight when the wind picks up. But if you have never loaded a trailer with bunks just sit by the loading dock and watch some of the people with them. I think you will be impressed.

Bifflefan

Commander

The nice part about a tandem axle is that if you lose a tire, you can drive a short distance until you find a safe & level spot to change the flat.

You can do that on a single too.
I'd say the best part of tandem is if you lose a bearing you can chain up one side of the axle and still make it home.