Shore power stopped working suddenly

ICohen424

Cadet
Sometime over the past 2 days, my shore power stopped working. My cable has a light at both ends and I tested it with a power meter and its all good but the meter at the panel in the boat still shows nothing.
I can't seem to find any fuse labelled "Shore Power" or anything like that, just the on/off switch for shower power.
Any suggestions?
2019 Chaparral 347 SSX

Buster53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found out the hard way there is a breaker within a foot or so of your boat side connection. Never knew it existed until I lost power one day and a buddy told me to check it.

ICohen424

Cadet
I found out the hard way there is a breaker within a foot or so of your boat side connection. Never knew it existed until I lost power one day and a buddy told me to check it.
Which boat do you have? Where was this breaker?

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with Buster, look for the breaker. My Formula is behind the Aft seat

ICohen424

Cadet
Agree with Buster, look for the breaker. My Formula is behind the Aft seat
I have an I/O. Behind the connection is the engine bag. I can’t seem to find and sight of the wire. It seems to go all the way to the panel in the cabin.

alldodge

Staff member
Can also be the boat connector
Its all tracing wires and power. It should come in, go to Galvanic isolator and then to breaker panel

Buster53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was told that ABYC standards were changed in the mid 90’s to include a breaker within close proximity to the shore power connection. Mine is covered with a stainless steel cap identical to the cap that covers the shore power connector. I never looked at mine as I just assumed it covered a telephone/TV cable connector like I had on a previous boat. I didn’t need to use either, so I never opened it up to look.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure if you're plugged-in to the same shore power supply outlet, or for how many seasons. Maybe verify that still supplying power. Some have breakers, some are turned-off at their source (especially this time of year). As AD said, "Its all tracing wires and power"

ICohen424

Cadet
Thanks to everyone here who led me to the right direction, which is to just get my hands dirty and inspect for myself.
I followed the line with a power tester and that led me to a hidden breaker just for the shore power, under the seat that is just in front of the engine bay.
Super super easy.
Thanks all!!

Buster53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Glad you found it. Just curios…how close is that breaker to your shore power connection?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks to everyone here who led me to the right direction, which is to just get my hands dirty and inspect for myself.
I followed the line with a power tester and that led me to a hidden breaker just for the shore power, under the seat that is just in front of the engine bay.
Super super easy.
Thanks all!!
thanks for closing the loop. it helps others who look to iBoats for answers in the future.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
OK -- so did you ask yourself "why did this breaker trip?" They trip because of a short circuit or an overloaded circuit. Both can be bad!

ICohen424

Cadet
OK -- so did you ask yourself "why did this breaker trip?" They trip because of a short circuit or an overloaded circuit. Both can be bad!

Good point!
I didn’t because it happened only once at a time when various work was done on the boat and dock. Now that it’s settled, I’ll wait to see if it happens again.