Shore Power Cable Adapter

I have the shore power cable that came with my boat, but where do I find an adapter that will allow me to plug it into a regular household receptor that I have dockside?

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Shore Power Cable Adapter

A couple of questions:<br /><br />1. What is the rating on the connector that came with the boat? What is the amperage of the cable that came with the boat?<br /><br />2. What is the circuit breaker panel on the boat capacity?<br /><br />3. What are you trying to run?<br /><br />Standard household duplex outlets are typically 15 amp rated. You don't want to get an adapter then try to draw 30 amps out of a 15 amp outlet. (I suspect it is fused for 15 amp so you would just blow the shore power fuse).<br /><br />Can you give some more details?

All I know is that it is a 30 amp shore power cable and I will be running a water heater, stove and microwave, but not all at the same time. plus some cabin lights

This came from the surveyors report, if it helps. <br />The shore power connection of this vessel has a single 30 -Amp. 120 -<br />volt Ship Service with a “Marinco”® 301EL-B receptacle on the port aft quarter stern of<br />the vessel. The AC wiring is routed to a master AC panel with circuit breakers for cabin<br />receptacles, water heater, and accessories.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wonder how much power the water heater, stove, and microwave draw. I suspect it is more than 15 amps. Given this you will probably have to be careful on what you turn at the same time.<br /><br />For your own information you should note the amperage draw of each piece of equipment. Let us know what it is if you can.<br /><br />Is this a commercial dock you rent space in? Can they provide any better power connection?<br /><br />Boatin Bob is right, you can order one here now that you have the numbers from the connectors.<br /><br />One thing to check before you get the adapter is to see if the recepticle is 15 amp or 20 amp, and what it is fused for.<br /><br />It could be a 20 amp circuit. (A pure 20 amp plug has one of the prongs turned sideways.) <br /><br />If the recepticle accepts the 20 amp plug, and is fused for it you should buy an adapter that will give you the higher current.

18rabbit

Captain

Jack has given you good info. My thought is a 15amp adapter has less capacity, but will have greater flexibility as far as plugging it into other outlets should the need ever arise. Should work with 20-amp service, too, if 15-amps works within your needs.<br /><br />BEFORE you plug anything into shore power, you need (not ‘should’ … NEED) to check the safety grounding. Buy yourself one of those little LED circuit checkers and stick it into the shore service BEFORE you do anything else. If you don’t get the LEDs to light up in a pattern to indicate the grounding is correct, STOP! Do not take the shore power onto your boat until the grounding is corrected.<br /><br />AC power is very special on a boat. On terra firma 120vac will definitely wake you up if you connect with it. On a boat/water, it can put you to sleep, permanently.