Shipping an outboard.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have sold my Johnny 9.9 4 stroke to a fellow in CA. Now I need to ship it to him.<br /><br />I would like to find a shipper who will crate it and deliver it, but the quotes I get on the net are all over the place, from $65 (FedEx, no packaging) to $271 (OTR freight). No shipper offers the "outboard engine" option in their request for quote forms.<br /><br />Suggestions or experiences? :confused:

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shipping an outboard.

Hey JB, <br /><br />Never shipped on to anyone, but I have received two outboards in crates, Most shippers will not handle the packaging due to the liability if the unit is damaged. If you wanted it crated for you, you will pay more, but try a mailboxes etc. or call a "freight forwarder" they usually will do something for you besides stamp it and through it on a trailer. Last motor I bought, was a 4 horse kicker, and I paid $89.00 in freight for it to go 350 miles. Not much help, but hopefully we will get ya fixed up JB ;)

D

DJ

JB,<br /><br />Got any outboard dealers around you that you can get a new shipping crate from? <br /><br />Once crated, the shipping should be relatively straightforward. UPS, Fed Ex-Ground, etc.<br /><br />I shipped a '57' 7.5 from AZ to AL using a crate from a Johnson 9.9. I shipped it Fed Ex-Ground. As I recall I believe it was about $80.00. You'll have to sign something stating there is nothing "hazardous" in the box.

JRJ

Commander

Hi JB, a boat dealer here gives engine crates away. You might ask a dealer near you. I bought a new engine in Virginia, and shipping to Ca was $500 (115 4-stroke). I didn't keep the crate. Best wishes :)

tmac58star

Seaman Apprentice

Hey JB. If its less than 48 inches tall and under 70 lbs., FedEx or UPS is real do-able...you just need to find the right box. I favor water heater boxes from Home Depot, etc. You can cut one long seam and make the box just the right size for the motor. Needs to be in there solid, so it don't rattle around. And taped around all sides/edges very securely, ie. strapping tape. Just watch their scales, our UPS depot has a tendency to weigh heavy with their digital scales...know what it weighs before you take it in. If they're way off, take it to their competitor. But don't let on that it may have had gas/oil/lube in it...they are very scary about volatiles.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

If you cant find a shipping crate, you can secure it in whatever box you choose by wrapping it in a plastic garbage bag, then spraying that self expanding foam around it. Spray a little at a time and it wont make a mess. It forms a great solid packing material custom molded to your engine. If you spray the bottom half of the box first, then lay a second plactic bag over the engine then spray the top half, then it separates into a real nice "shell".<br /><br />Just a thought. We've used this method a few times before for shipping other awkward heavy things.<br /><br />Nav :cool:

D

DJ

I really like the plastic bag (may want to throw in a desicant) and foam idea!