Shimming hitch receiver?

snapshotmd

Seaman
My hitch receiver has about 1/16" space when the ball is in place. I notice some noise from the play in this connection. Does anyone shim this? and with what?

speedoflite2

Seaman
Re: Shimming hitch receiver?

This is normal if you take the hitch out of the reciever when not in use. If you leave it in it corrodes up and fills up with dirt.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

there are anti-rattle pins that they make now that are supposed to help. Mine only rattles when im not towing, i use it as a reminder to take it out so no one else comes along and swipes it from me.

Bifflefan

Commander

If you live in a state that uses salt on the roads, as i do. your going to want that space for rust in the future. The inside of the reciver will get smaller over time. I clean and repair the inside of mine every year before and after the snow, so its not a real big issue for me, but it you dont then in a couple years the reciever will fit tight.

Splat

Lieutenant

Best trick I've ever found was what we used to do to take the rattle out of our hitch mount salt spreaders. Drill a hole on either the bottom or side of the reciever on the truck, then weld a 3/8 nut on it. Next when ever you put your draw bar in, secure your pin then thread a bolt into the nut and tighten.

Not only does it take the slop out, it also helps as a theft deterrant, it now requires a wrench to remove your draw bar.

Bill

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto Splats idea, have been doing it for years. Hitches that rattle are really annoying in a SUV.

DougV>

snapshotmd

Seaman

That sounds like a great idea Splat. I don't have a welder so I'd probably drill and tap the hole.

Splat

Lieutenant

That sounds like a great idea Splat. I don't have a welder so I'd probably drill and tap the hole.

Yup that would work too! I don't know why we never did tap them? I think it was always faster just to grab the welder in the shop and buzz a nut on real quick.

Neversieze also a good idea.

Bill

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah a jamb a plastic door shim in there to shut it up.

iBrent

Seaman

Due to the recessed nature of my hitch receiver (05 Explorer) the clamp style receiver locks would not work. I didn't want to alter my hitch receiver either. So I purchased this:

http://www.quiethitch.com/

It was expensive, but it is dead silent.

reelfishin

Captain

On my old car, the hitch was pretty loose so I'd put a few wraps of duct tape around the insert. It worked fine, if it wore out, I'd just retape it. It didn't show, and it still gave a barrier to avoid rusting in place.

I had actually tried using a piece of inner tube too but the duct tape lasted longer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just have someone put a spot weld or two on the hitch a 1/4" in from where it is fully seated in the receiver. Grind it down so it is a nice tight fit right there.

Deprime

Cadet

+ 1 to the duct tape idea, however I use electrical tape myself. I just replace the tape about once a year.

a70eliminator

Captain

I just love that bolt idea on the bottom, I switch hitches back and forth too much to be fumbling around with gadgets thanks i'm going for the simple bolt a nice 1/2" stainless bolt, wonderfuly simple solution, thanks.

mattpyle

Seaman

Just have someone put a spot weld or two on the hitch a 1/4" in from where it is fully seated in the receiver. Grind it down so it is a nice tight fit right there.

That's what I usually do on mine. Run a couple welds down it on all sides, then grind it down till it fits snug.

I've also done the electrical tape when I was in a hurry...some real thick 4" wide stuff works real good:D. Definitely one of the cheapest and easiest ways to go.