shifting troubles

geaz

Cadet
i have a 1974 johnson 115 <br />the motor runs great but shifting is a problem. when in the water, it shifts fine into forward and works properly, but when i try to put it into reverse, it doesn't want to go. it sounds like a grinding sound as if it is only half way into reverse. If i pull back ont the shifter really fast and jerk it back it will go into reverse but will not have throttle control. it will inly go really slow and i know it will go faster than that in reverse. also, the boat say out this winter and i accidently left the motor turned the wrong way so that the metal tube that goes through the motor was out the whole way instead of turning the motor the other way. now the steering is locked up and the motor will not move by hand or with the sterring wheel, both of which it did last sumer. any suggestions?<br /><br />thanks <br />geaz

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: shifting troubles

Geaz have you tried shifting manually at the engine with the shift cable detached? If it was shifting OK before, may be in the control cable and not the engine. Check the cable for any splits that may let the core may slip out of or the cable may just be old.<br /><br />Steering cable, you may need to disconnect the engine and try pulling the cable out of the steering tube. If the cable is locked up, may just be in the steering tube. Old steering cable? Any place showing the core or splits somewhere?

angus63

Captain

Gruvster<br />Shifting problem can be (in order of likelyhood):<br />1) Stretched control cable<br />2) Poorly adjusted shift linkage<br />3) Poorly adjusted shift rod<br />4) Worn clutch dog<br />I suggest if you do not have a manual to get one.<br />www.theoutboardwizard.com<br />If you have a lot of throw in your controls before shifting or throttle reacts, replace the cables. Adjusting the shift linkage requires disconnecting the shift cable at the motor, manually making sure the linkage is centralized in nuetral, making sure the controls are centralized in nuetral, and then reconnecting the cable. Shiftrod requires dropping LU and measuring length of rod and adjusting. Worn clutch dog will be last if all else proves good.<br />From your description , I'm betting on a combination of stretched cables and poorly adjusted linkage.<br />As for the steering, copious amounts of penetrating oil and a judicious amount of heat, some time, some patience, some cursing, and a little luck is needed to free up a 30 yr old steering system.<br />Good luck

geaz

Cadet

well i unhooked the shift cable and put it in neutral then adjusted the cable as prescribed (when i took it off i adjusted it manualy an it was really smooth and easy to shift) and replaced it. then tried it out with the shifter and worked great. However, after that i messed with the throttle after it was not running and i put it in forward about half way and then came back to neutral and it would not go into reverse. It would go forward but not all the way into neutral or into reverse and it woulddn't start because the safety switch was not pushed in the entire way. so i took it apart and put it back together and it went into reverse one tome but when i brought it back to forward it did it again and of course, snapped off the triangular piece that the handle screws int with an allen head bolt. does anyone know why this happens??? it happened on my 1974 85 hp rude as well but when i took it apart and put it together on that motor it worked fine.<br />I don't understand why it happens and would like to know as to avoid it from happening again. and also how to fix it properly so it won't happen again<br /><br />thanks for the help<br />geaz