shifting issues

slowroller88

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1995 Chris Craft 21 concept with a 5.8 /OMC/ Ford. My boat will not go into forward or reverse. I pulled the cover off of the outdrive, and the lever that controls the gears is moving fine, but the prop will not turn. The drive unit is not making any noises at all that would lead me to believe that it is engaging. The cable is fine, as there is good movement on the shifting lever into the outdrive. Has anyone else had this problem?
Please help!

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: shifting issues

will the prop not even budge? Seized pinion bearing ect ect, but that would lock up the whole motor too, I don't know not enough info to even speculate.

slowroller88

Seaman Apprentice

the prop turns freely by hand, but not when in gear w/ engine running. The engine still revs up the farther the control goes, but the prop is still. Could this be a u-joint or driveshaft issue? the boat had a funny whine the last time i had it out when i put it back on the trailer, but worked fine other than that.

Bondo

Staff member

Could this be a u-joint or driveshaft issue?

Ayuh,.... Probably time to pull the drive,+ See....

Did you drain the Oil,+ Look for Water, or Metals,..??

slowroller88

Seaman Apprentice

the oil looks good, is at the proper level w/ no sign of water, but it does smell a bit burned...

futz

Banned

it overheating, might have nothing to do with the drive, the coupler could have gone.

So put it in gear with the key in your pocket and step on the prop, it turning yes coupler went.

slowroller88

Seaman Apprentice

I just replaced the risers & manifolds as the boat was in dry storage for 18 months before i got it and the manifolds packed off with rust ( in the water sleeves), so there was some hea involved.. ( melted both top bellows). I was thinking that was the reason for the burned smell in the oil.
Futz, I will try your advice this afternoon. Thanks for everyones feedback.

slowroller88

Seaman Apprentice

I put the boat in both forward and reverse gear with the engine off. In forward, the prop would turn freely in a clockwise rotation ( forward), but would not turn backwards. In reverse, the prop turns freely counterclock wise,(reverse direction), but not clockwise. It seems the lower unit kept the prop from turning backwards in both gears, but the engine did not the free spin in the proper direction. Another thing I noticed is that when running, there is no drop in RPM when it should be going inot gear at all.
FUTZ, is this what you were saying about the bad coupler?
Thanks.

futz

Banned

sorry but yep coupler went. if in forward gear with motor off and you can turn the prop clockwise the coupler went.

No metals in the oil yep thats what it is.

If there were alot of metal in the oil i would say maybe the dog went, the gear got chewed up something other then the coupler.

So now pull the drive 6 bolts it's off, pull the motor and replace the coupler.

Can be done in one day.

While your at it you get to check the pan and rear seals and all kinds of stuff you can't see.

Paint up the pan real good and pay attention to the lip of the pan, see if it's ruting bad, now would be the time with the motor out to replace it if you have to.

Good luck keep us posted.

slowroller88

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice FUTZ... don't like the answer.. but thanks still. I'm a boat Noob.. mechanically inclined... have rebuilt engines... would you recomend me doing this myself, or sending it to a shop? ( don't want to get myself into trouble)

slowroller88

Seaman Apprentice

Update:
I spoke with a local shop this morning,. and the guy there mentioned to me that if the coupler is bad, the motor would not be pumping water. I have had the muffs on it, and running the motor is moving water through the exhaust with no problem. Is he being straight with me?
I checked again last night, and when in forward gear with the engine off, the prop turns clockwise with very little resistance, and you can hear only the prop shaft turning in the unit. If rotated counter clockwise, you can hear all of the gears turning in the drive, and a slight clicking noise while being turned on the back of the engine. The Mechanic i spoke with is telling me it sounds like the lower gear case is bad and quoted me $4900.00 to rebuild.
This is my first boat and I'm starting to feel the pinch on mechanical issues ( and cash)

I welcome all advice.
Thanks