Shifting into gear

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1993 Four Winns Liberator. Lately, I have been problem shifting into gear. It doesn't act up while shifting the first time or into reverse (ever). If I have cruising for a bit and have to idle into the boat launch, taking it in and out of neutral, sometime I have to give it some RPM's before it will kick into gear. Sometime it slams into gear because I have to give it RPM's. Anybody have any ideas what this could be?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shifting into gear

Doesn't matter what the boat is, what engine and drive do you have??????

Don S

Sounds like the cable is either out of adjustment or starting to go bad (worn causing excess movement in the cable) If it's been working fine and suddenly started this, I would bet you need a new lower shift cable.
Really need an OMC service manual to change and adjust it properly.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Ditto what Don said. As far as adjusting it the drive needs to be pulled.Best thing is a new lower shift cable. The Factory service manual is a MUST have for the adjustment procedure..

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

I have the SELOC repair manual. I don't see anything about the throttle cable. Am I overlooking the section or would it not be in their? What section would it be under?

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

is it ok to jump in here? not sure about the etiquite or how to spell that word. don and gary, i was having that problem also, and you guys told me i needed to replace my shift cable. i adjusted it and everything is A ok now. how do i know when it needs to be replaced and/or am i doing damage now? thx, you guys are the best! and if i should have started a new thread you can tell me that also.

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

Is it the "shifting mechanism"? If so, would it only need to be tightened, or adjusted?

Don S

One More Time

Sounds like the cable is either out of adjustment or starting to go bad (worn causing excess movement in the cable) If it's been working fine and suddenly started this, I would bet you need a new lower shift cable.
Really need an OMC service manual to change and adjust it properly.

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

I understand that. Nothing in my service manual refers to a "lower shifter cable" . The only thing I can find is the "shifting mechanism". Are they one in the same?