shifting gears problem

garzaglass

Seaman
I have a 1979 evinrude 75 horse engine. I have always had trouble with it not wanting to go into reverse. I would try to adjust the plastic turning wheels that are in line with the cables and it would go into reverse for a while but always go back to where it didnt want to go in. it would click really loud like its trying to but just not making it. well, in getting my boat ready to go out I started to mess with those adjustments on the cables again and ended up causing more problems. now its clicking even when trying to go into forward gear. I have to throw the throttle forward really fast for it to go into gear and even after its in its like its trying to go out. lots of clicking and slipping.

is there a thread that maybe has pics or goes into detail on this subject that could lead me in the right direction for checking this out?

thanks,
Damien

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: shifting gears problem

well there are 2 possibility's. you shift cable is going bad, stretching. or the last time the lower unit was off for water pump, some one turn the shift rod, making it out of sinc.
disconnect the cable at the motor, now shift the motor manually. is all is ok, put the motor in neutral, now adjust the trunion nut, so that it connects with out moving anything on the motor.

you adjust cable to motor, not motor to cable.

garzaglass

Seaman

sounds like a plan but I need to see where these parts are. especialy the trunion nut. never heard of that one! im pretty sure i know what the shift cable is. it comes from my lower unit and hooks into a bolt right under my bottom carb? also how would I shift it manually? is there any pics of these things someplace so could be sure?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The trunion nut is the plastic wheel you've been incorrectly messing with.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Do not rev the motor to try and get it in gear, it is like doing a tranny slam in your car, very very bad for the lower.

Disconnect the shift cable and put it in nuetral by hand, then forward and reverse to confirm it will actually go into gear, keep in mind the shifter will only move so far, if it won't go into gear don't force it.

If it actually does go into all 3 gears put it back into nuetral and adjust your cable to match that then fine tune from there.

If it won't go into all 3 gears then something is wrong with the lower, I would geuss a rounded clucthdog.

Have you had the motor apart prior to this happening or it has just gotten worse over time?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if he is running original cables, could be cables.