shifting bell crank

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Morning folks!!<br /><br />My brother has an old Johnson Javelin 35 hp (rje-19) that still runs very well but after replacing the shift dog and gears and adjusting the shift arm, it still loses reverse. He has been told that the bell crank under the power head is the likely culprit.<br /><br />My seloc manual does not give a lot of detail on this and we were wondering if the six bolts at the bottom of the powerhead were all that holds it on and do we really need to take the starter, carb, etc. off to pull the powerhead. <br /><br />Also, is the bellcrank going to be an elusive "needle in the haystack" item to find new or used in good shape. If so, no need to mess with it. <br /><br />Naturally, thanks in advance for any help!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: shifting bell crank

You can remove the powerhead as a unit. No need to remove the accessories.<br /><br />Before doing that, remove the side plate from the exhaust housing (the housing between the lower unit and the powerhead). Grab the upper shift rod with a pair of needle nose pliers.<br /><br />Now, holding that upper shift rod tightly, move the shift lever. If you can move the shift lever any amount without moving that upper shift rod, the upper linkage under the powerhead needs looking at.<br /><br />It's been a long time since I replaced one of those items, but I believe it's called a "clevis", not a bellcrank.

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Joe!!<br /><br />I was hoping you would see this and give me some help. We are going to finish out our boating season as is and start looking at the problem. <br /><br />I noticed you didn't give any clue as to availability to the parts which leads me to believe a lot of "big twin" folks are snickering!!<br /> <br />We may have to adapt as we often do.<br />Thanks again Joe!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Many parts should still be available at your local dealership...... and I'm sure that others will jump in here with news of other suppliers.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If you end up pulling the powerhead, don't forget the two nuts beneath/behind the carb that need to come off as well.

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Paul<br /><br /> He has not heard back from one dealer yet but that does not mean anything yet on availability. We still have some used (up?) prop shops to check on also. I'll keep this posted as we go so others can benefit.