Shifting adjustment?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
E25teerc '94 25hp
If I turn the dial on the cable I can get the boat to shift in and out of gear as it should but it won't start because the neutral safety switch isn't allowing it to start. So the way it been since I've had it is that it goes into forward and reverse fine but to go to neutral from reverse I need to go slightly into forward position before it goes into neutral. Is there any adjustment on the switch itself?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shifting adjustment?

Not sure, but will guess at what you have here. I am not familiar with this motor, but am with a 94 15hp so maybe they are close.

Since yours is a electric start motor & apparently the new style, I suspect you are referring to the visible electric start button does not completely align with the actual inner starter button. In front of the visible start button & 1/2 way between it & the larger pivot bolt is a smaller Phillips head screw. Loosen this screw, which will allow you to move the visible button to better align with the inner button.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ill have to look at it this afternoon to see if I can find what your talking about. It is electric with controlls on the console. Thanks.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If your controls are console mounted, you have something out of adjustment. Where is your starter switch , on the motor or the console?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked and didn't see anything on the motor that could be adjusted on the motor itself. The key is on the console contol box if that's what your talking about

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After reading another thread here about shift rod adjustment, could this be my problem? I read the thread in the top secret file too, but it does not have my motor in it. I assume its close to the same idea. Should I center the dial on the shifter cable to work properly for the neutral safety switch, and make my adjustments for true neutral with the shift rod? When my control is in neutral position and adjusted to activate\deactivate the safety switch properly, the unit is still slightly in reverse, making my course of action to thread the shift rod down\in slightly to allow a little more travel in the linkage to fully come out of neutral. Is this correct?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did as described in my above post and things are working smoothly now.