shift troubles

idaho83815

Cadet
Shifting into reverse is fine. Shifting into drive takes too much throw of shifter, the RPM's are already increasing a bunch and it shifts hard...can't be good for gears. Sometimes it even pops out of gear if at low rpm. I beleive it is a cable adjustment issue but the cable has been adjusted all the way (only checked adjustement at engine, is there an adjustment at control? Hard to get at control so I have not opened it up yet). Boat is 1978 Glastron V-192. Motor is Johnson 175 HP Outboard, all original. I am guessing new cable as this is stretched...anyone have different opinion before i buy one?

Airxsteel

Recruit
Re: shift troubles

I am having the same issue on a 79 140 HP. There has to be a throttle adjustment at the control, maybe not though as that is just where it connects. I am reluctant to take mine off now. When you open the throttle all the way, does the cable bar move at the engine at all? Does it stick or is it pretty smooth? I have seen them crack and you don't notice it until you open the cover and look at it and see what it is doing when you put the throttle all the way down. Let me know what you find, I am curious as mine is doing the same.

idaho83815

Cadet

My throttle and shift linkage seem to be smooth. Throttle seems to run up in correct fashion...it is just the shift seems way behind going into forward. I did not notice any cracks or problems at the motor but have not looked into remote control unit yet. By the way, this is a new boat for me and I have no knowledge if this happened before....seeing that the cable is adjusted all the way to one end leads me to believe cable has stretched and they have tried to adjust for this in the past.

HOU-CHAP

Seaman Apprentice

Has the water pump been changed lately? If so, the shift rod length could have changed causing incorrect shifts. The previous owner could have changed the shift rod length on accident and tried to adjust it out at the cable?? The length of that shift rod has to be pretty dead nuts on (like +/-.03 I think), or else it is not going to shift properly. Look in a service manual and you can get that length. You will have to drop your LU to check it though. Your control cables should never be adjusted all the way out, or else you have a problem elsewhere. Either somethings out of whack or you need new cables.

idaho83815

Cadet

Thanks Hou-Chap. Since it was new to me I did change impellar, but i did nothing to length of rod.....but that does not mean it was not done previous as the adjustments were done before me....hmmm i may have to eat some new gear oil and take it apart again to check. Thanks again.