Shift to forward gear if engine not running

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi out there,<br />while reading my favorite book these days<br />(Seloc Manual), I came to the section about mechanical shift and found p.8.64<br />"Remember, when the engine is not running, it should be in forward gear."<br />Ooops, and I always have it in neutral ???? :confused: <br /><br />Any reason for this that you experts know of<br />(Can't find anything with the search function)<br /><br />Thanks, hope you all had a good boating weekend.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift to forward gear if engine not running

post the entire paragraph, starting with with lower unit the paragraph pertains to.

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks rodbolt, that sounds like a typing session.<br /><br />p8-63<br />Mechanical Shift, Shift disconnect under lower carb<br />70 HP 1976 and 1977<br />75 HP 1975 thru 1977<br />All units 1978 and on<br />Description<br />The lower unit covered in this section is complete mechanical shift unit.<br />A shift cable conencts the shift box to to the shift linkage at the engine. A shift rod extends rom the engine down thru the exhaust housing to the lower unit.<br /><br />Shifting into forward, neutral and reverse is accomplished directly thru mechanical means from the shift control handle thru the cable and linkage to the clutch dog in the lower unit <br /><br />........................<br />..........<br />Troubleshouting <br />Prelimnary Checks<br />.................<br />...........<br />Now follows some test procedures shifting in all gears, checking lubricant fluid in lower unit<br />and then the sentence<br />"Remember, .......!<br /><br />That's enough ??

ledgefinder

Ensign

I think you shift it into forward, for storage, so that the clutch dog spring in the lower unit is relaxed.

Laddies

Banned

when the engine is not runninr there is no hyd. pressure to shift the unit into neutral or reverse so it don't matter where the shift lever is

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks you all, I didn't mean to confuse anybody.<br /><br />I read this part of the manual (and rodbolt can tell you I'm not good at it :) ) that you should shift the lever to forward if your boat (motor) is not in use (on the trailer e.x) and wondered why and if there is some strain on components in neutral ?<br /><br />That's all.<br /><br />Sorry OBJ if I expressed it wrongly.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Boats....what's the year and hp of yer shaker again?<br /><br />EDIT: Never mind. Found one of your other posts. <br /><br />Your saying when the gear shift is in neutral, your in forward gear on the motor?????

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

boatsrfun.<br /> on your mechanical shift I dont reccomend shifting at all if the drive shaft or prop shaft is not turning. there are no springs in your unit other than the detent ball spring. so there is no reason to store it in any particular gear. the hyro electric will shift to fwd at engine shut down due to a spring loaded sliding clutch. the hydro-mechanical is a hydrualic shift assist mechanism. there again its a hydrauliclly assisted mechanical shift. I dont reccomend shifting them without the driveshaft turning. hope that clears some up for you.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

No problem boats.....I think rodbolt covered everything real good. Hope it helps your understanding.

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the late reply, lost this topic.<br /><br />Thanks again. in the meantime I've asked a guy from Mercury Marine plant. (They are MY customer :) ). He will try to find out if there is any reason to be NOT in neutral when the boat is not in use. Will post results.<br /><br />But rodbolts answer really sounds logical to me.<br />Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> dont compare mercs to OMC's. the two use a totally different method to move the shift clutch. some mercs are spring loaded to assist in holding fwd gear, some are sping loaded to hold both gears via 3 shift detent balls. and mercruisers have a shift spool on later models :) all in all merc used about 5 types of shift. keep your omc questions with an omc knowledgable person.

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks rodbolt,<br /><br />why am I not surprised ? Standards are good, everybody should have one