Shift Switch

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice
200 HP Johnson V6 1999<br /><br />I know what it supposed to do functionally - But can someone tell me how the Switch shift operates? Is it pressure sensitive to the linkage moving, or mercury contacts? I can press the "test button" on top and it Ohms out OK. Based on how the button sits on top, I see no way that is is pressed by the shift linkage. <br /><br />In the driveway when I shift into gear I cannot see the contacts close, as I can when I press the button.<br /><br />What sent me here is that after running for some time at crusing speed, shut off, fish, then restart it: many times it sounds like some cylinders are not firing, and then when I try to accelerate slowly it dies. Yet if I slam the lever to WOT, about half the time it will kick in and run fine at WOT again, like something is holding it back with slow acceleration. It cannot be a carb problem, unless a few of the 6-carbs mid speed jets all decided to clog at one time.

angus63

Captain
Re: Shift Switch

Bill<br />As long as your idle rpm is 800 or less, you can simply disconnect the shift switch to see if it is the source of your issues. coming out of gear may take a little more effort if your rpms are high so be careful maneuvering. The switch is a spring loaded microswitch that only engages (if positioned correctly)momentarily when coming out of gear (fwd or rev). I have not seen any difference on my 1995 175 Opro with it disconnected and my neitral idle is 650-675 rpm. Your symptoms do not point to the shiftswitch, but more likely is a spark/fuel delivery issue.

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

I think fuel is OK - jumps right to life if I slam it to the peg. Can't believe 6 carbs hiccupped at the same time, and intermitten.<br /><br />I am thinking power pack is flaking out or the shift switch is hanging. Just went to talk to the local OMC shop. Guy says intermittent problem is real ugly. He doesn't want to waste my money if it cannot be readily reproduced. Without me mentioning the shift switch, he recommended disconnecting the shift switch temporarily to see if problem clears, says he has seen them hang before.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Have you checked timing & link & sync settings? You can get these symptoms if these are not set correctly. Quick start disguises the symptoms when the motor is cold.

seabytes

Recruit

Bill,<br />I have a 1993 175HP Ocean Pro and am experiencing a similiar problem except my engine sometimes bucks and sometimes just shuts off. It will then start up again. I've had it looked at but the problem only starts after a few hours of use so it nevers happens for the mechanic. If you solve the problem please let me know.<br /><br />Thanks<br />dave<br /><br />dcole@altara.com

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its easy enough to unplug the switch and test run it. be aware that if the engine idles really well you may have to shut the engine off to get it back to nuetral.<br /> other than that it wont hurt anything.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Seabites, check the powerpack. Engine running and up to operating temp. Engine must be loaded with dyno, test prop or boat in water. If the pack bad, I would replace the 3 ignition coils and sparkplug wires.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Link & sync and timing are not things that typically change all on their own, if you haven't made any adjustments to them there's little reason they would need it now, I like your mechanics attidude also, too many it seems just want to start replacing patrs till the problem stops. Try Rodbolt's advise and see what happens with the switch unplugged for starters.