Shift Shaft Seals....Leaking

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice
I was getting water into the LU after replacing the water pump kit. Im just a driveway wrench'er but i thought i did the kit right. So I pulled the LU and did a pressure test using soapy water. I found the leak comming from around the shift shaft. My question is, I know I need the manual anyways, but can i get away without it this weekend while i fix it? I read, elsewhere that if the shift rod comes out the gear housing has to be totaly disasembled, to get it back in? Does the rod have to come out to change the seal? or is the seal external, and can be changed fairly easy?<br /><br />thanks in advance for your advice ...

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Shift Shaft Seals....Leaking

When you did the W/P did you replace the driveshaft seals under the pump housing ? <br /><br />Shift shaft seal is simple to replace but you need a special tool. One can be fabricated quickly out of a piece of steel pipe as I did. The seal is integral with the 'shift shaft bushing' and simply unscrews from the L/U housing and slides up off the shift rod. The shift rod stays in place. Be sure to hold it down in place while pulling the bushing/seal up and off.

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Shift Shaft Seals....Leaking

yup thanks for the reply...I got it ! and yes when i did the water pump i did the entire kit that even had a think plastic base with a seal on it, under the metal plate that the impeller spins above. And yes the shift seal was easy, I also fabricated the "special merc tool" by welding tiny 2" bars to the mouth of a crescent wrench, and adjusted it around the shift shaft to line up with the notches around bushing peice. I got scared when i was pulling the bushing off and the rod moved up about an inch, but it all went back together smoothly...WATER TEST IN THE AM