Shift Rod Concern

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am rebuilding the water-pump and replacing the gear oil in my lower unit. I have the lower unit supported by some jack stands, but yesterday while I was working on it I bumped it with my knee and it started to fall, I managed to grab it by the shift rod in one hand and the body of the lower-unit in another hand. <br /><br />My concern is, would this have moved the shift-rod enough to hurt anything? I grabbed it at the base, and also grabbed the little plastic cone which slid up the rod a little. I just pushed the cone back down and turned the shift-rod (about 1/2 a turn) back to the position it was in before I grabbed it.<br /><br />I read some other posts warning of the shift-rod height being important.

Walker

Captain
Re: Shift Rod Concern

Did you bend it? If not, I don't see how you could have damaged anything.

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no, the only bend in it is the one it had before I bumped it... the one at the top ;) .

angus63

Captain

Did it shift on ya or still in the same position? Check the postion of your controls and be sure lower unit is in same postion for reassembly (F,N,R). Just check that the shift rod seals are still in place.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Checking the shift rod height is part of doing the water pump job. Check and adjust as needed just before the lower unit goes back on. Lots easier to do it now.