Shift rod adjustment help

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I paid and downloaded a workshop manual for my 1988 140hp Johnson,it appears to be a copy of a factory manual for 140hps, it mentions the shift rod length to be 21.94 inches ( 557.3mm)
but it doesn't mention what gear the rod should be in. I was told have the height set in Neutral .I have for the last few days frying to get the lower unit installed and can't select reverse as the shift lever attachment under the carbs will not push the rod down enough to get reverse.
It appears I should remove the lower unit and adjust it again but this time push the rod down into reverse and unscrew the shift rod to correct length and refit the unit. There is no more adjustment left in the control cable to do it any other way.
Another thing not explained is the gear lever and throttle lever position on the motor, would it be correct to think that the throttle arm and the gear shift arm would be in parallel when in Neutral?

rocket72

Recruit
Re: Shift rod adjustment help

Hi Rovernaut, Your shop manual should tell you what position to place your shifter lever in prior to removing the shift rod. Once there I don't think the shifter position should change until re-assembly. In my case I have a 96 175 Eve.. My shop manual tells me to shift into forward gear then remove shift rod from upper linkage pin. At that point your lower unit can be removed. If your shift rod height is correct it will match up to your upper linkage pin during re-assembly. Rocket

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Does that shift rod screw in to set the height? Did you disassemble it? I am just wondering why you have to reset the height.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does that shift rod screw in to set the height? Did you disassemble it? I am just wondering why you have to reset the height.
I dropped the lower unit and the shift rod twisted on lowering it. It also spins out of place when I refit it, it has the offset end to it must hit the tube on the way in and out. I adjusted it due to that for what I thought was the correct length on info I had.
If the rod was just a straight rod, then it wouldn't hit anything .

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The shift rod is one with the offset bend at the top, the shift rod screws up and down to set the height. It's a V4 Looper and according to the secret files on this site it give a length for shift rods, but is too short. The **** rod is very easy to turn by my fingers, it rotates easily when refitting the lower unit. I it was harder to turn and need a tool to turn it then wouldn't move on refiitting.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Rovernaut, Your shop manual should tell you what position to place your shifter lever in prior to removing the shift rod. Once there I don't think the shifter position should change until re-assembly. In my case I have a 96 175 Eve.. My shop manual tells me to shift into forward gear then remove shift rod from upper linkage pin. At that point your lower unit can be removed. If your shift rod height is correct it will match up to your upper linkage pin during re-assembly. Rocket

What's confusing in the manual it gives 21.94 inches, yet when I look on this site in the secret files, it says 90degress loopers long shaft 26 29/32 inches that's about 5 inches more in length.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just subtract 5 inches from the spec and you should be okay.