Shift Problems - First Run of Season

I've got a 91 Chris Craft 17' Bowrider with a 3.0 OMC Cobra. I have changed my fluids, cleaned her all up nice and was ready to go. Engine starts and runs like a dream. Dropped in the water today for a test run and it wouldn't go into forward. I have the shifter where you press the button in at the pivot point to give it gas without going into gear. That button now seems to be stuck in. Although I was able to get it in reverse to get back to the dock before I got stranded. Not sure it came out of reverse and now the engine won't even turn over when I try to start it. Any idea what happened or where to start looking?

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Shift Problems - First Run of Season

greg, if the boat is in reverse the neutral safety switch will prevent the engine from starting. you'll have to free up that button to get it back into neutral. u may have to take the throttle handle apart to see why the button won't release.

PT

Seaman
Re: Shift Problems - First Run of Season

A few things to keep in mind, going on my experience from my boat, 1st of all it will not start in reverse or forward( which may be due to the nutral switch Sea Wolf mentioned.Is the shifter stuck? Will it move any at all forward or backwards?